VOGONS

First post, by t-scene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys I'm new to retro pc's. I had started off wanting to build a pc like I had back in the day with with a P2 450mhz and Voodoo 3 3000.
But I am curious what is the most powerful AGP card that will work in a slot 1 platform.
I have always wanted a Voodoo 5 5500 but is there anything more powerful maybe even with a DVI output?

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything up to GeForce FX 5950 Ultra or Radeon 9800 Pro. But the most powerful card that can work with AGP 3.3.v Slot 1 system is Galaxy GeForce 7950GT.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The question should be what's the most powerful CPU you can use in a Slot 1 system. The fastest graphics card won't yield much if the CPU can't keep up. After you know what CPU to use, you can choose a matching graphics card. Also, keep compatibility in mind. "Newer" cards are rather bad for low resolution, VESA support, etc.

To put that in context: If you had a P2 450 MHz with a Voodoo3 back then, you already ran into that situation. Even a Voodoo2 will not reach it's full potential with CPUs slower than ~1 GHz, let alone the Voodoo3.

Reply 3 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Anything up to GeForce FX 5950 Ultra or Radeon 9800 Pro. But the most powerful card that can work with AGP 3.3.v Slot 1 system is Galaxy GeForce 7950GT.

Of course you could go for a Slot 1 system with AGP 4x, allowing lower voltage options. You could do that with either an Intel i815 chipset (slot 1 i815 was very rare, but IIRC Abit had at least one board), for highest performance, but the usual i815 limitations (512MB RAM...), or the slightly slower but far more versatile Via ApolloPro 133A (694X) chipset.

Abit's SH-6 would be the obvious i815 choice, for Via 694X there's much more choice, things like the Asus P3V4X, Abit VT6X4 or Soltek SL-67KV. Iirc the Asus board offered the best (non-overclocked) performance.

A P3V4X with Tualatin slotket and Radeon 9800Pro would easily beat any BX with the same CPU and a 7950GT, assuming at least that the CPU wouldn't be the bottleneck in both cases.

Reply 5 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium 3 1ghz can handle well only early XP games, so GeForce 5900XT would be good option.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.