VOGONS

First post, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm upgrading my retro system, no agp. However the cpu and main pci bus are directly attached so its not as choked as most pci only systems. I get about 162mbs out of the main pci bus and about 126mbs out of the secondary bridged pci slots.

I bought a 1.4ghz Piii for the system. The kind with 512kb of L2 and a BFG OC 6200 with 256mb 128bit ram.
just wondering, would this be a good mix? I'm wanting to play games like KOTOR and biohazard 4 at or close to 1600x1200. I know the CPU can play those games from past experience, but I never had a 6200.

After giving it some thought. I'm thinking I should have bought a faster pci-e card with a PCI adapter, like a 6600 or 7300. But I thinking the pci-e to pci adapter would choked and negate the benefit of a faster gpu.

The system is running 98 and has 256mb of ram.
Maybe I should upgrade from 98 to 2k, dual boot dos and drop in a 8400? Or am I just over estimating what the pci bus can do?

Thanks.

Last edited by Scubs on 2018-02-22, 05:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you see any "flipped" PCI slot? If your system has such a slot, which would be a dedicated 66MHz whole bus, just go for the fastest pci card that fits on it. It has to be Universal, PCI 2.1 compatible, 3.3V and 5V.

Reply 2 of 2, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you mean by flipped pic slot? Are you talking about the 3.3v and 5v notch? The slots are notched for 5v but support both 3.3 and 5v cards.
I believe the primary PCI slots would be dependent on the SBC used. If the SBC used supports 66mhz then the primary PCI slots should run at 66mhz.
The secondary's should be locked at 33mhz 133mbs. This could explain why I see about 162mbs from my raid card and only about 125mbs from everything on the secondary slots.