VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by RETROKOMODO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Whisky wrote on 2022-08-19, 09:38:
RETROKOMODO wrote on 2022-08-18, 20:29:

Now officially perplexed. The ABIT board arrived today and I've just finished getting it all up to date, ran the advanced Pixel shader and.. instant restart. If I had enough hair left I'd be pulling it out.

Meanwhile ramsink video almost done. Just need to record the audio

I have two NF7 and NF7-S and they have instant restart's in 3D Mark 01/03 but 05 run great. No meter what GPU 3850/X1950Pro/9700Pro I think its a software/driver issue.

I think it must be. I'm using the latest 13.4's i think, and otherwise everything is fine - across all 3 motherboards. Happens every time when using Barton core 3000+ or 3200+ chips, but Interestingly it works fine on my Palomino core 1700+?? That's what made me think it was a CPU issue.

Super weird.

the AST (Advanced Shader Test) BSOD issue supposedly has a fix from searching around on t'interweb:

Run regedit
Search the registry for ZFormats
When it comes up with the first successful search, look to the large panel in the right hand side of the registry editor; there should be a list of commands
Look for the command that says Default - it will most likely have the number 3 after it
Double-click on the Default word, and a new window will pop up. In the bottom part, where it has the number "3" highlighted, change this to 15 and then click the OK button
Now press the F3 button at the top of your keyboard to continue your search
You should find a few more entries for ZFormats; just look for those that have the Default command in them and change them all to "15" - remember to press F3 to search again each time
Once you have changed all the settings over, close regedit and then reboot your PC
Start 3DMark 2001 SE up but remember to check the test settings, by default it will now use a 32-bit z-buffer instead of the usual 24-bit z-buffer. There is a performance difference between the two and you can lose mark when running with a 32-bit z-buffer

Only thing is I can't seem to find what all the above refers to when searching through the registry. I find results for ZFormats, but no Default with a 3.. Also theres mention of an 8 bit stencil, but again in the XP SP3 registry I cant find the options to change.

Infuriating.

Reply 41 of 45, by Whisky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exacly it's super weird. I try it on my mobile 2600+@2.4GHz and 2500+@2.2GHz sometimes when i drop frequency on them to 100-133 FSB 3D Marks runs OK, but not always 😀
I tried over 30 modified and official bios, 20 different ram sticks, and instant restart is always in the same time on both NF7.

Reply 42 of 45, by RETROKOMODO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Whisky wrote on 2022-08-19, 10:59:

Exacly it's super weird. I try it on my mobile 2600+@2.4GHz and 2500+@2.2GHz sometimes when i drop frequency on them to 100-133 FSB 3D Marks runs OK, but not always 😀
I tried over 30 modified and official bios, 20 different ram sticks, and instant restart is always in the same time on both NF7.

Well I tried it on my lunch break and you're right. It works fine with my 3200+ set down in the BIOS as a 2500+ at 166mhz settings.. Saved - went into XP and selected just the shader tests - lo and behold - fish!!

What the hell.

OK. starting a new thread. I've polluted this one too much as it is.

Reply 43 of 45, by RETROKOMODO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK folks, the next stage in my AGP HD 3850 cooling project is now complete! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u1GCr2uf4Y
It's a bit shonky, but it is a ramsink! Now to get on with the last stage which is comparing honking big aftermarket coolers.

Reply 44 of 45, by RETROKOMODO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks. I have a cooler update. Out of all the ones I bought to try, the only one without any issues is of course the biggest one!

Behold the massive RAIJINTEK Corporation Morpheus 8057 on an AGP HD 3850

IMG_20220910_115218.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220910_115218.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The video is getting made so more info to come, but to get you intrigued - how does a max temp of 50 degrees sound? 😉