VOGONS

First post, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a odd problem.
My retro systems system primary PCI slots are 32bit 66mhz bus witch would mean (if no 33mhz cards are in use) I should be able to get up to 266mbs out of the bus. But every PCI-e to PCI riser card I see is limited to 32bit 33mhz witch would be be a max of 133mbs.

Just wondering, seeing that higher end PCI video cards with 9x support are not all that available. Would I be better off with a slower card PCI like a PCI Nvidia 6200 or getting a card like a 6600 or 7600 with a PCI-E to PCI riser card?

A 6600 or 7600 would be much faster cards, but they would be stuck at 133mbs.The 6200 would be able to use upto 266mbs, however the 6200 is a much slower card.

Its a tricky pick. I'm almost tempted to just ditch 9x and dual boot 2k/dos so that I could use something like a pci 9400 or 210.

Games that I would be playing on the system that need a faster card would be.
Silent hill 3, Battlefront 1, KOTOR2 and UT04 at 1600x1200.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Scubs on 2018-02-22, 05:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The bridge chip used for those PCI to PCI-e and PCI-e to PCI adapters is the same on all of them AND it supports 66Mhz PCI per the data sheet.

It is also the same bridge chip used on the PCI video cards that are natively PCI-e.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 4, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

The bridge chip used for those PCI to PCI-e and PCI-e to PCI adapters is the same on all of them AND it supports 66Mhz PCI per the data sheet.

It is also the same bridge chip used on the PCI video cards that are natively PCI-e.

Cool. I do find it odd that every PCI-e to PCI adapter state they only support 32bit 33mhz.

So now all I need to do is find a low profile 6600 or 7600. That should make my like a lot simpler.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I don't know if they are artificially limited or not. I have a couple of the adapter cards but pretty sure my PICMG setup doesn't support 66Mhz PCI. I'll have to double check the SBC documentation and maybe try to find the documentation for the backplane again which has so far been unsuccessful.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's your backplane? I may be able to find something.

As far as I understand, if your backplane is passive your SBC should control whether or not the PCI slots are 66 MHz supported. Keep in mind that if even one 33mhz card is in use the whole bus would be downclocked to 33 MHz, or at least that's what I'm reading.

Also be careful with your pick of video card, PCI-e cards can pull far more than PCI slots. PCI slots support up to 25W while PCI-e cards are like 75W.