VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 1996 specific build with a 3DFX Voodoo 1 4MB coupled with a ATI 3d Rage II+. For the most part I don't have many issues. However, I have installed Duke Nukem 3d and get a lot of screen tearing when playing at any decent screen resolution. So far that's the only issue with a game I've had but I've not tried many yet.

So here is my question. Is having an ATI 3D Rage with the Voodoo 1 overkill? Is there any point in having anything other than a 2D card in 1996 if you already have the Voodoo? I have a Cirrus Logic 5446 that I could throw in there but did not know if I would be loosing any Non-3DFX 3D compatibility by removing the ATI card?

In 1996 were there even any 3D games that required a 3D card other than a 3DFX?

Reply 2 of 4, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Duke Nukem 3D does not even use the Voodoo card, so this has nothing to do with it. You may replace the ATI, it will not affect any game that uses the Voodoo anyway.

Right. I guess my question wasn't about Duke3D specifically it is just the reason that I realized my Rage card may be faulty or buggy with some games. So didn't know if there was a downside to not using something for non 3DFX 3d games?

Reply 3 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Screen tearing doesn't come from a faulty card either. It's a matter of matching display refresh rates between the game and the monitor. Try tweaking the refresh rate to match up with the monitor.

Reply 4 of 4, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could be related to the combination of video card(s) and monitor. If you're using an LCD, older cards often have quirks in some situations. Using the Voodoo's passthrough could be compounding the problems as well.

Try playing a non-3dfx game that gives you tearing with the monitor connected directly to the Rage card.

I'd try using the Cirrus Logic card too, as they are generally quite compatible with older non-3D-accelerated games.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.