VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting ready to fire these up for my first Voodoo experience ever but I'm confused on what drivers - so many ideas out there: fast voodoo, latest voodoo or latest
in my particular case Creative Voodoo Blaster2. Can anyone advise on this please?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I stick with the last official 3dfx drivers and drop in the MesaFX GL dlls when I need them.

I don't trust third-party drivers. Most of them just flip a few existing variables, sometimes unsolicited overclocking, and go "ya we are fast grafik !!! go to our web site". They also inexplicably disable the filter. *grumble*

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 19, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scubs wrote:

I see, ill take that as a no.

What an idiotic statement, sorry.

Why do you think the FastVoodo drivers are "fast"? They overclock the 3dfx chipset and disable features that would make the 3D output slower. In other words: these are hacked drivers and you use then at your own risk. This is a fact and you can prove yourself by looking at the inf-files to see what the drivers do.

Reply 11 of 19, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I paid a lot of coin don't want to run the V2's into the ground plus my case is crap as far as cooling so I'll start with the latest official drivers and go from there.
Thank you all for the input tho.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 15 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had more bugs and glitches with the FastVoodoo drivers than with the latest official 3dfx ones, but I use a mismatched SLI config so I am stuck with them. That said, they are nowhere near what you would call bad. Just remember to disable the default 3Mhz overclock they come with (for whatever reason).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 19, by titsmcgee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:

I see it clocks it at 93 not 95MHz.

My voodoo 2 stock speed is 100mhz, seen 110mhz cards too. earlier cards 90mhz.
source code for drivers open, can compile drivers for more speed.

Reply 18 of 19, by titsmcgee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

latter voodoo 2 cards ran at higher clock. older first second gen ran at 90mhz.
most voodoo2 cards ran at 90mhz stock with older rev a/b firmware.

Read tech specks on cards TMU and Pixel processor chip.
Pixel processor 500-0009-01 build to run up to 95mhz wile most TMUs were 100mhz. ram on most cards 100mhz. 93mhz not over clocking

Some cards came with clocks speed unto 110mhz like gainward dragon.

Reply 19 of 19, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My V2 8Mb SLI runs unstable at 93Mhz.. it took me some time to figure out why the Fuck it was unstable.
Then i figured out that one of the Cards didnt like the FastVoodoo Overclock.

Not that i did know it overclocked them...

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board