VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello (Windows 7)
ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 3650 AGP 512MB DDR2/3(2008).
Ok I bought this card(10€) and found out it is very slow and today when late AGP card prices are big because of bootleggers on Ebay. I'm trying to professionally air cool(=no ugly quick fixes 😊 ) and tune it to max. So what max. tuning specs. MHz can I expect from this card ? I myself have no previous tuning experience.

I used ATI Overdrive auto tune: ( Came with driver's package )
GPU clock
725 ->750MHz(max)
Memory Clock
400 ->500MHz(max)
It auto adjusted to:
GPU= 730MHz
MEM= 480MHz
+ Temperature raised from 40*C to 50*C on stock aluminium cooler with 50mm fan.

When fitting a better custom copper heat sinks, large fan and trying to air cool tune to maximum...:
1.) Do I place heat sinks on both top and bottom Qimonda memory chips 4pcsX4pcs ?
2.) What brand and thickness size mm thermal heat pads do I use under memory heat sinks ?
2.) Does this card has those "VRM" voltage regulator MOSFET chips that some guides suggested ? What parts do I exactly heat sink other than memory chips and how to find these chips on the card ?
3.) What is the safe temperature is it that max.50*C ?
4.) When ATI Overdrive values are maxed out what other programs can I use ?
5.) Why Overdrive values are predefined to max. 750 and 500 MHz ?

Attachments

• Unt442itled.jpg
    Filename
    Unt442itled.jpg
    File size
    455.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
user33331 wrote:
When fitting a better custom copper heat sinks, large fan and trying to air cool tune to maximum...: 1.) Do I place heat sinks o […]
Show full quote

When fitting a better custom copper heat sinks, large fan and trying to air cool tune to maximum...:
1.) Do I place heat sinks on both top and bottom Qimonda memory chips 4pcsX4pcs ?
2.) What brand and thickness size mm thermal heat pads do I use under memory heat sinks ?
2.) Does this card has those "VRM" voltage regulator MOSFET chips that some guides suggested ? What parts do I exactly heat sink other than memory chips and how to find these chips on the card ?
3.) What is the safe temperature is it that max.50*C ?
4.) When ATI Overdrive values are maxed out what other programs can I use ?
5.) Why Overdrive values are predefined to max. 750 and 500 MHz ?

1: I would.
2: If your using sick on memory heat sinks you'd need to use thermal tape and not pads. 3M has some good stuff.
3: Most GPU's can hit rather high temps with out having problems. Most newer cards have a max of around 70-80c, but Id shoot for 50-60c.
4: MSI Afterburner.
5: May be the max clock set in the firmware or ATI just is keeping things safe. If Afterburner does not let you go higher you will need to mod the firmware or card.

I'd look up a site call performance pcs, they have a lot of heat sinks for older cards and universal stick on heat sinks for things like mosfets and ram. Frozen CPU may have some stuff you could use too. If you spend more then 50$ at performance pcs use the coupon code OCN55 and your get 5% off your purchase.

This chip on the back near the APG slot is a PCI-e to agp bridge chip. You may want a heat sink on it too, but they can be a bugger to install one on.

Reply 2 of 4, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1.) If I CNC a custom copper heat sink will I need spacers between GPU and heat sink ? Or can I just screw it in ? Why 3rd party\aftermarket coolers provide spacers ? Are they needed to adjust right pressure and without them GPU breaks when heat sink is screwed in ?

2.) What thermal conductivity on pads Chinese=1.4 W/mK, Arctic-AC=6.0 W/mK or Alphacool=11W/mk ?

3.) I read a review that has one of those PCI-E to AGP bridges. Here is a reference to the text and the reviewer thinks it really needs a heat sink... Do I use a 1 pc tiny heat sink 10x10mm for the small bridge chip or how do people cool these ?
- I bought a bunch of different size aluminium heat sinks from Ebay 10x10, 15x15, 20x20mm.
Review that talks about the bridge chip:
https://www.bjorn3d.com/2009/10/sapphire-hd-4650-agp/
"Once I turned the card over I was terrified to see this. No heat sink what so ever… I don’t know what was going through the Sapphire engineers, but this chip really needs a heat sink. I would suggest rigging something together otherwise the card will probably not last as long as it should."
Image06S.jpg

Reply 3 of 4, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the card was PCI ex version ok then, overclock as far as you can...
But is damn AGP, so most AGP based systems will be ok even with stock cards like this one, as the processors are way older and slower then even Radeon x1950 Pro.... In short you are wasting your time, and this card have really junk cooler on it, i did have the same one before it just sucks, it need as minimum removed fan + plastic and it need old case fan on top of the junk radiator...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088