VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to finalize my setup for early game systems (Atari 800XL, Amiga 1200, Sega Mega drive, Sony Playstation...).

At the moment I have a dedicated Commodore 1084 and some Philips with SCART input for Atari and Amiga. Picture is good. But I'm looking for something bigger/better. I see many users recommending some PVM or BVM. Those come also in bigger sizes like at least 20". This would be perfect for me. Problem is those are expensive and locally not available.

Now I'm looking for alternatives. Would some 20 or 21" Sony TV be a good substitute? Maybe even smaller 14" Trinitron TV would be better then current Commodore monitors? These TVs are pretty cheap and I can experiment... just looking for any info on the matter before I go on 😉

Thanks

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 4, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I have a 29" arcade monitor mounted in a hand-made wood box. The advantage of this is that it is an auto tri-sync and takes both RGBS and RGBHV input. Basically anything that outputs RGB from 15khz 240p to 31khz 480p works. Everything from my MSX to my Dreamcast looks beautiful on this thing, and the size is just right. Also being a proper auto sync it works with my more exotic PCs (Sharp X68000, Fujitsu FM Towns) too. I can also use with PS2/Xbox/GC/Wii 480p using a Component->RGB transcoder.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe SONY made some incredible RGB monitors that were used by broadcasting stations and whatnot but I don't have any model numbers off hand.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 4, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking for a cheaper, more available, but still good alternatives - like more common Sony Trinitron TVs (14", 21", 29").

About Sony PVM... I see there are a few 14 and 20" on sale "locally" - more than 100km drive. But prices are from 200 to 500€ - way too much for my taste or needs. Sony TV's are from free to around 20€. Much more price friendly and it's still Trinitron.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some 28" Philips with L04E chassis is going to be hard to beat, the tube is excellent and it is one of the last fully analog video path chassises they made, later ones use digital processing and are crappy in a number of ways. It also does wonders with composhit/s-video input but is sometimes not super fond of NTSC input (RGB is fine in both 50 and 60Hz).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜