VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Conventional wisdom seems to indicate no it does not, but there are a lot of conflicting reports on the interwebs that the T&L capabilities were unlocked in later drivers.. Can anyone confirm whether T&L works or not with the latest legacy Catalyst 6.2 drivers available on AMD's site? I suspect that would make a pretty significant difference in the card's performance if it was later enabled. Interestingly, I can't seem to find any hard evidence that it indeed was enabled..

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-02-27, 10:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Radeon 7000 uses the RV100 chip which has no T&L in hardware. Maybe ATi later produced the 7000 with the R100 chip to save costs by using the same chip for all cards, but that's just an assumption. But only then you could enable T&L by a later/modified driver. If the card has the RV100, it's not possible.

Reply 2 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see.. So those forum posts here and there about T&L becoming available all of a sudden with driver updates are just bogus.

Sad. I'm trying to decide between a G450 PCI and a Radeon 7000 PCI for a high end Coppermine i810 system, this would have made the choice a lot easier. Now it's very difficult again all of a sudden.

Reply 3 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I see.. So those forum posts here and there about T&L becoming available all of a sudden with driver updates are just bogus.

They might not. Remove the heatsink and look what the chip actually says. If it has a R100 instead of a RV100, the no-T&L restriction would simply be by software and a driver update could remove that. On the other hand, lots of stuff written here and there is just bogus, so... 😊

Reply 4 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, I have installed a R7000 PCI 64MB in my FSC-XS-D1215. I am wondering why directx.cpl does not list 320x200 8Bit under direct-draw.
I can enable it by the mode-x setting but this leads to a much to fast displaying of the horizon-cracktro.
Does anyone have an idea, why the radeon 7000 pci with the latest 6.2-ATI driver does not support vga-lowres 320x200 8bit ?

Edit:
I could fix it with hztool 1.4

ThxDoc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 5 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

depending on the speed of your cpu the TnL can be slower, its why they dropped hardware TnL a few years later, the shaders do the same thing sort of but hardware TnL was slower than without on DX7 cards if your cpu was at about 1.2ghz or faster

Reply 6 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

depending on the speed of your cpu the TnL can be slower, its why they dropped hardware TnL a few years later, the shaders do the same thing sort of but hardware TnL was slower than without on DX7 cards if your cpu was at about 1.2ghz or faster

I paired the card with an i810 coppermine system so it was relevant to me though with a 1ghz coppermine in there it will be less relevan than the 733mhz cpu I had earlier..