VOGONS

First post, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

Before I spend too much time troubleshooting, I thought I'd run this by you all and hopefully get some direction. I have trouble running Glide based games or demos on this system:
- Athlon XP 2400+
- nForce2-based Asus Motherboard
- 512MB DDR RAM
- 80GB IDE Hard drive
- Radeon 9600XP AGP card
- Voodoo 2 SLI
- Windows 98SE

When I try to launch Need for Speed SE or Unreal Tournament (the two Glide games I own right now) or any of the demos that come with the drivers, they just hang. No sound, no splash screens. I can use the task manager to close the offending process and return to Windows, but sometimes this results in weirdness in the Windows UI, such as a garbled mouse cursor.

I've tried different drivers (currently running the latest version of FastVoodoo), I've tried disabling SLI, I've tried replacing the Glide2x.dll file in game folders with the one from the driver package, and I've tried underclocking the CPU by setting it to 100MHz FSB. None of this has any effect. What should I try next?

Reply 1 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried official voodoo drivers? Even those had their latest versions kinda bugged. Also try using each individual voodoo2 card at a time to see if at least one of them runs ok. If you're using SLI make sure the voodoo2 cards are from the same manufacturer (Diamond, Creative Labs, etc...) and are identical versions with the same memory ammount, otherwise SLI will only work with some special drivers.

Reply 2 of 5, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Have you tried official voodoo drivers? Even those had their latest versions kinda bugged. Also try using each individual voodoo2 card at a time to see if at least one of them runs ok. If you're using SLI make sure the voodoo2 cards are from the same manufacturer (Diamond, Creative Labs, etc...) and are identical versions with the same memory ammount, otherwise SLI will only work with some special drivers.

Thanks. You know, I think I actually have not tried the official drivers because I read that they do not work with Athlon CPUs. Though, an Athlon XP might be a different story.
I will try the cards individually tonight and see if that gets me anywhere. The cards themselves are identical. If I don't get anywhere, I guess I'll be installing Windows on my K6-3+ machine to try the cards there.

Reply 3 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo2 W9x drivers are sensitive to the CPU speed.
2 versions of official drivers work on fast PCs - 3.02.02 and 3.03.00b. Others - black screen and freeze or "no 3dfx card detected".

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 5, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Voodoo2 W9x drivers are sensitive to the CPU speed.
2 versions of official drivers work on fast PCs - 3.02.02 and 3.03.00b. Others - black screen and freeze or "no 3dfx card detected".

Ahh, I knew someone out there would know just what to do here. Thanks!