VOGONS

First post, by SilverX95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm somewhat having a driver problem with my quadro4 700 xgl with a certain game.
The game is Test Drive 5, now i know what driver to use cause i also tested the card in a windows 98 machine, the the driver i used was forceware 43.45 and the game ran fine but i got a different video card in that system now and decided to put the quadro4 700 xgl in my windows 2000 machine cause i wanted something a bit better then my matrox g400.
but the problem i have is that i can't get the drivers i need from Nvidia website, the only drivers i was able to get are 61.77, 71.84, 71.89, 81.85, 93.71, 94.24 all of them do the same thing with this game is there a setting that is causing this or it is driver related.
i hope some one can help me out with this

20180301_200929.jpg
Filename
20180301_200929.jpg
File size
712.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20180301_200755.jpg
Filename
20180301_200755.jpg
File size
311.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Than you have to get the drivers elsewhere. I was going to take a look but you didn't say what driver you needed. This was literally the 1st thing that came up when i searched BING.

???????????????? forceware 43.45 for windows 2000 http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOA … are-43-45.shtml

Reply 2 of 6, by SilverX95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i tried those drivers but i still get the same thing, at the moment i found these driver's http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Dri … driverid=R42221 but this time around by disabling the
W buffer in the games setting utility fixes the black screen but it disables the fog setting in game.
i dont know whats so special about windows 9x driver's that i have that makes the game work right out of the box without issues under Windows 98 but also i'm going to do a reinstall of windows 2000 to see if it might be something else like directx might be too new for this card ill give directx 8 or 7 a try

Reply 3 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know they can be coaxed to work as you have proven this but Quadros are not very good for gaming. Try enabling application compatibility layer in windows 2000. You must have at least SP2.

Click start then run and paste this in the run box. regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
restart the computer and right click the shortcut to the game and change the compatibility mode of the game to windows 95. I know thats a longshot but might be worth a try at the least it might enable you to run programs u otherwise couldn't on 2000 properly.

Reply 4 of 6, by SilverX95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

welp i tried that compatibility layer for windows 2000 and set it to windows 95 but it didn't change a thing but it nice to have.
i installed everything and left the default directx that came with windows 2000 witch is directx 7, disabling the W buffer fix's everything so I'll just leave it like that for the time being till i can get my hands on a real geforce card.
i'm going to try some newer games that are more for windows 2000 to see if i run in to more problems if i do i'll just put the matrox g400 back in.

just a small note i am using Windows 2000 pro with SP4

Reply 5 of 6, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SilverX95 wrote:

i installed everything and left the default directx that came with windows 2000 witch is directx 7...

Nvidia drivers dont like old versions of DirectX. Use DX9.... Also some games were reported to have compatibility issues with Win2000.
Win2000 were never ment as gaming platform, more like replacement of NT for work (for games were Win ME). That changed with Win XP, which were more games oriented....

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 6 of 6, by SilverX95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vlask wrote:
SilverX95 wrote:

i installed everything and left the default directx that came with windows 2000 witch is directx 7...

Nvidia drivers dont like old versions of DirectX. Use DX9.... Also some games were reported to have compatibility issues with Win2000.
Win2000 were never ment as gaming platform, more like replacement of NT for work (for games were Win ME). That changed with Win XP, which were more games oriented....

even if that is true, i had DX9 on there before i did the reinstall and it didn't make much of a difference when i left it on DX7 but also in some case's its bad to have the newest DirectX witch can also cause the problem, sometimes its best to just install the DirectX version that best suited for the card, for me it would be DX8 witch i did try but still no difference it more or less comes down to the hardwhere and the drivers more in this case its bad drivers for windows 2000 from my testing, as I've tried forceware drivers from 28 to 93 (Well not all of them just the ones i can get my hands on and ones that will work with the quadro4 700 xgl) as i said before i had the card running under windows 98 on forceware driver 43.45 (witch is the best driver i can use) and the games ran fine, it could also be because of the 820 Chipset that my Pentium III 600MHz EB uses www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/Inte ... 0256).html

the system i did test it on using windows 98 was using a socket 462 AMD cpu running about 750MHz witch using DDR266 ram witch use chipsets VIA KT266A + VT8235

a note i like to make is that when i was changing the drivers, the performance of the card was changing, in one case driver 93.81 made the card run real slow wile driver 28.41 witch is the dell driver that i found made the card run much better and have less lag

from what i have found from testing, this card doesn't like windows 2000 too well,but it likes windows 98 a lot (if you have the right driver), i might do some testing in windows xp one day to see how it runs on there but that for another time.

more or less i was just doing this to see if it can be done and if any one had info or experience with the quadro4 cards on using them for games, as retro geforce cards are getting scarce as time goes on.
also i wanted to do this because of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku9Cp3o13QI plus the fact that i only paid $9.44 for the card that's shipping included (shrugs)
and more or less for fun.

also nice museum you have there 😄