VOGONS

First post, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any known issues with miniDP-to-DVI or miniDP-to-VGA cables/adapters, or is it seamless?

Specifically, I'm going to connect two Dell 2001FP monitors (1600x1200, VGA + DVI) to HD7850 card (DVI-I + HDMI + 2x miniDP), with a third monitor possibly in the future.
At this point I can connect only one of those through either VGA or DVI cable.

Reply 1 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run a 2001FP on a Mac Mini via mini-DP-to-DVI cable (technically through a Thunderbolt port, but same thing.) It works fine. AFAIK mini-DP DVI is bog-standard.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 4, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only issue that I've encountered was when using 2 miniDP and one DVI, I experienced screen tearing on the DVI monitor due to some differences in the way the output was implemented. This was with 3 Dell U2412m monitors and an XFX HD6950.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 4, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. Occasionally I have severe tearing with just one monitor when using custom resolution of 1600x1000 (i like to use it if the game is designed with widescreen monitors in mind).
The same game may run fine in 1600x900 or 1600x1200. Some tweaking in graphics settings usually helps.

Reply 4 of 4, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cable came today. Initially worked fine, then I started getting bluescreens - something that I don't recollect seeing on this PC.
But maybe it's just a coincidence and the cause is unrelated... Will test tomorrow.