VOGONS

First post, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, as i am new here i have request for you.
As i was born in 21 century, i have less knowledge of older Socket 7 computers(and 486, 386 etc.) but I found some parts at home and built a Pentium PC.
It has LuckyStar 5I-TX1(was in attic for ~10 years, had original bios but i flashed to patched bios downloaded from rom.by), Pentium /w MMX 133MHz, 32MB SIMM(??SIMM??) RAM(i haven't found any SDRAM), S3 Trio64V+(AliCat, Ali M3147V) 2GB IDE WD Drive, BenQ CD drive, generic floppy drive and small AT computer case with turbo switch, broken power button and Pentium III sticker.

I installed Windows 95(tried Win3.1) on it, but i have problems getting the S3 Trio64V+ GPU to work(i even tried Parallel printer, which works flawlessly).
When you put any PCI card into the first PCI slot of motherboard: IRQ is NA(tested Realtek Network card RTL8139D shows NA too but, i don't have driver for W95)
Other PCI slots show number in IRQ(GPU was showing 11).
Assign IRQ to VGA is enabled.
I even tried to download GPU drivers and install them but with no success(They install, but after rebooting shows error with adapter driver).

Is there any way to get the GPU working?
And i think that the first PCI slot is broken(due to PCI cards showing IRQ as NA).

Last edited by Morc on 2018-03-10, 21:59. Edited 1 time in total.

2018 Retro Rebuild: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz, LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev: 2.0, 32MB, Verite 2200

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One important note: It's not a GPU. We never used that term prior to the Geforce256. Maybe you'll get more relevant results by not using that word.

Windows 95 do have Trio64 drivers shipped with them and the Trio64V+ is compatible with them so you shouldn't need to driver hunt to troubleshoot either.

If it's an Award bios sometimes things will fix themselves when you enable "Reset configuration data" in the PCI/PNP Configuration setup menu, so try that. Booting into Safe mode and deleting all the devices in Device Manager (including all the controllers) would also help

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Part of the Bios post routine should show You the PCI or ISA PNP cards and any IRQ being used.
Have you tried another PCI slot?
There are drivers here http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=26

I would have thought if the PCI slot didn't work then You would get no video at all.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 3, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i found that 2 PCI slots(first pci slot and third pci slot) are "working" but in device list before booting from hdd shows IRQ but only NA, no number and nothing seems to fix it, and i tried switching the "Reset configuration data", setting PNP OS installed, or setting Auto to "Resources controlled by" in BIOS(tried S3 Trio64V+ card, Ethernet card and NEC USB pci card).
That ethernet card which i said i don't have drivers for it, i found some and installed it and it works(but not in first and third pci slot). That S3 card on the other hand, with every PCI slot still nothing. I am thinking about if it isn't broken.. Is it supposed to show some kind of message before showing BIOS post?

edit:
I Solved It! The problem was in driver which i had to download Ali3147V driver as the chip on card says Ali and not S3. Installed and voila, i have working graphics!
edit: looks like that it works even without IRQ(NA)

2018 Retro Rebuild: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz, LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev: 2.0, 32MB, Verite 2200