VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have installed a Trio64v+ into a Windows 95 machine. It works fine in DOS mode but for some reason when in Windows I am getting all kinds of multi colored lines on the screen. It happens at every resolution and refresh rate setting. I will post pics to show what I am dealing with in next post once I get to another computer. Does anyone know what may be causing this or a way to fix?

Reply 1 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would say bad vram... If the ICs are socketed try some other ones and see if things improve

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 13, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I just took out the 2 vram chips and switched them. So still using same chips but in the opposite sockets and it is working fine now! Why would this be? Were they just not seated well to begin with maybe?

Reply 4 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fsmith2003 wrote:

Well I just took out the 2 vram chips and switched them. So still using same chips but in the opposite sockets and it is working fine now! Why would this be? Were they just not seated well to begin with maybe?

It could mean that the ram in the first megabytes is faulty and now that moved it down the line - and it's not getting used - all is OK. So I would assume that you have 1 bad IC.
I don't think you are getting the same thing as leileilol since the ram order would make no difference in this case.

So yeah, just get a new pair of ICs and call it a day.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 13, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok I have two VRAM chips on this board. They each have a number on top and it be below it. The top number is 9531. The bottom number is V53C16258HK50. There is some on eBay I could get but the top number is different and the bottom number is the same except for its 6HK50 at the end instead of 8HK50. Will these work as replacements and have the same amount of ram? I will provide the eBay link for what I am looking at.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/V53C16256HK50-MOSEL-DR … 3sAAOSwVlVaTR0T

Reply 7 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the top number is the ICs datecode, 9531 means week 31 of 1995.
Be sure to get V53C16258HK50 ICs as they have better performance than the 256 variant

like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PER-LOT-INTEGRATED … OJ/152640183716 , it's faster but it will work fine

Reply 9 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep it means it's 40ns : lower number = faster for dram

Reply 11 of 13, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When searching for obsolete ics it's a good idea to also check UTSOURCE and Aliexpress, as sometimes it can be considerably cheaper than ebay.

https://www.utsource.net/sch/V53C16258HK

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 12 of 13, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did receive the chips and it does work better but occasionally when moving around a window lines will appear but not near as bad.

Also, I am curious how you go about determining memory capacity on these chips? The datasheet says they are 256k x 16. Wouldn't that mean 4mb? So why do I only have 2mb when two of them are installed?

Reply 13 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

256k x 16 are 512 Kbyte. The size is always given in bits.

More exactly explained: There are 262,144 cells with 16 bits each, resulting in 4,194,304 bits. Divided by 8 to convert bits to bytes you get 524,288 bytes, which are 512 KB.

In most cases, you don't even have to look for the datasheet. On a dram chip with 256k x 16, you'll most likely find the number "...16256" on it. Since these two values (16 and 256 in this case) are always a power of 2, they are easy to spot once you get used to it.