VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for opinions on the best Windows XP Drivers for a GeForce 9800 GT SLI setup with a Phenom X4 955 Processor....

Thanks ahead of Time!

Reply 1 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My best bet that you are looking for something cerca 2009 through to maybe 2012 driver wise as the games that are enjoyable on that setup are from that period and older. Some newer games are ok but it can be hit or miss, I wouldn't bother with any driver from the 3xx era but that is my opinion.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a 9800GT, and a few different GT2xx series cards, I've always gravitated to the 260.99 driver. But I can't give a good reason that you should do so.
I think it started when I was first setting up a 9800GT machine and that happened to be the latest driver, and since it always worked fine for me, I never saw a need to use anything else.

Much more recently, I recall that I did upgrade one machine to a slightly later driver (something like 266-27x range) but I don't remember why I did it or if it actually had any benefit.

One compliant I have had is that these cards/drivers won't throttle down to a low power state when dual monitors are in use. But I don't think there's any driver that ever fixed that. The only way I know to address it is a 3rd party utility.

Reply 4 of 4, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After watching Phil s video on newer drivers bringing performance down seemingly with each update, I went with the 175.xx drivers for the cards as it's one of the first versions I could find with 9800 support. Earlier than tbis said card wasn't supported when I tried to run it. Haven't really tested anything yet but they Installed without issue and all needed NVIDIA features are there. Have to install some utilities next and see how it goes

Wondering if the issue with newer releases of drivers causing performance issues continued up through the 9 series