Rank

So I've got two motherboards:

Intel D815EEA
Asus CUV4X-V

and three AGP video cards:
GeForce 2 GTS
Voodoo3 3500
Voodoo3 3000

All three video cards work with the Intel mobo, but only the Geforce works with the Asus mobo. I've never seen anything like this. I tried changing the AGP slot to 2x for the Voodoo3 cards even though 4x is supposed to be backwards compatible, but no dice. Any ideas?

Reply 5 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK so I set the jumpers to 3.3v

'
That's I/O voltage jumper.

I'm not sure I follow you

Perhaps AGP Pro on this board is compatible only with 1.5v cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo 3 is known to draw a lot more power from the AGP slot than other cards and some later boards, and even some contemporary ones just can't cope up with that.

The GA-BX2000 for example, one of the best 440BX boards there is, needs to be specifically jumpered to allow for the kind of power Voodoo 3 requires from the AGP slot. This jumper was actually added to later revisions due to issues with earlier revisions.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 13, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Xeo, I agree with the intuition of leileilol, firage and The Serpent Rider.

What we mean is that there are AGP pins that exist to supply power and there are separate AGP pins for data signals. (See the AGP pinout.) AGP 2X data signals use 3.3V; AGP 4X data signals use 1.5V. Even when 1.5V signaling is used on the data pins, the motherboard will still provide 3.3V power to 3.3V power pins on the AGP card. If your motherboard is only able to use 1.5V data signals, then your AGP 2X Voodoo3 will not work with it.

However, your CUV4X-V's manual indicates that there is an AGP Capability setting in the BIOS. This is a reason for optimism. Before giving up, boot the computer using the GF2, access the BIOS settings, change the AGP Capability setting from 4X Mode to 2X Mode, Save and Exit the from the BIOS settings, shut down the computer, replace the GeForce 2 with a Voodoo3, and try booting.

I own an Asus K7M that has the 3.3V/3.4V jumper. I use a Voodoo3 3000 AGP with it. Unless I set the jumper to 3.4V, I see minor graphical artifacting in the Windows GUI. I recommend that you set your I/O Voltage Setting (VIO) to 3.40 Volt.

Reply 8 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That chipset should work fine with the voodoo's, i don't know of any p3 board that does not work with 3,3v agp cards.

Here is even a reviewer that used a voodoo3 3000 agp on the same chipset (different board maker) http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1152

I have the Tuv4x version of that Asus board (Tualatin supporting version of the vIa chipset) and that also works fine with agp voodoo's. Would be a bit foolish to make a board in that era that didn't work with voodoo cards 🤣

Maybe the agp bus speed is set at a 100mhz instead of 66mhz?

Last edited by meljor on 2018-03-14, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

Have you tried your ASUS board with other 3.3v cards? It's possible that it has trouble working with 3.3v cards.

But how? Any p3 board should work with 3,3v agp right? Ofcourse it is a Via based board (Via is known for agp problems with older boards) but many others can be found on the web that used a Cuv4x version with voodoo's. For example when using Google i found a lot of people who had Cuv4x boards with voodoo5 5500 agp cards, and that one is also a 3,3v agp card.

I think it is a bios (or bus overclock) setting, psu problem or a defective component somewhere.

Reply 11 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

But how?

I think it is a bios (or bus overclock) setting, psu problem or a defective component somewhere.

You basically answered your own question 🤣
To OP: maybe start with cleaning the AGP slot and looking for rusted or bent contacts. Also, do you feel any wiggle of the voodoo cards in the slot?

Reply 12 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Others stated it might be a board limitation and therefor normal not to support 3,3v agp, i thought you meant the same thing.

Reply 13 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it was just one board that might be plausible, but two bog-standard boards that should both do 3.3V perfectly (look up the CU4VX, it was very popular in the day and frequently paired with V3 cards) showing exactly the same issue? Very, very unlikely. Either the Voodoo card is iffy, or there's something else causing problems (PSU?). Same thing with the accidental overclock - not likely on two boards at the same time, particularly not as one is an Intel OEM board with zero overclock settings. Also, the V3 is quite forgiving of high AGP speeds. I currently have an onboard V3-2000 on an MSI MS-6168 motherboard perfectly happy with an 88MHz AGP speed due to running the CPU at 133MHz FSB.