VOGONS

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I have a Velocity STB 128 AGP (Riva 128) video card in my only AGP slot on my motherboard. I am running Windows 98SE on a Pentium 2 233mhz. However, the Device Manager within System only recognizes it as a Video Graphics Adapter. If I try to install the win98 drivers for Velocity STB 128 AGP windows gives me an warning saying it's not recommended to install drivers for a device that is not Velocity STB 128 AGP. I know it's that card because I've that Make and Model on the actual AGP card and on bootup it comes up. How do I know if my AGP card is faulty or my only mobo AGP slot is faulty? Or what kind of troubleshooting should I do? Unfortunately, I do not have another old computer to test the card on. I also have two Voodoo2 PCI cards on SLI but I took those out for now to get this main AGP video card working first.

-Tristan

Last edited by trist007 on 2018-03-15, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

STB Velocity 128 but there is an exclamation mark essentially saying the drivers don't match up with the device. I've also just tried deleting the device and then it just installed a driver for Video Graphics Adapter. The PCI string in Device Manager is then Standard Display Adapter(VGA). Plug and Play is turned off because my serial mouse will not work otherwise.

Reply 7 of 12, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trist007 wrote:

You know that is probably it. It's a Dell Dimension XPS 233, does Dell still have old drivers like that for windows 98?

Dell's driver download pages still have drivers for their older computers, so I would imagine they still do.

Reply 9 of 12, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the PIIX4E.EXE bin from the dell website for the dell dimension xps d___ series in the windows 98 menu. When I run it it says that the drivers are meant for Windows 95 and gives me a chipset model. I've looked at other places but come up empty. Anybody know a good repo for old win98 drivers?

Reply 11 of 12, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trist007 wrote:

You know that is probably it. It's a Dell Dimension XPS 233, does Dell still have old drivers like that for windows 98?

Windows 98 should have builtin support for 440LX chipset. PIIX4E is the driver for the south bridge, which has nothing to do with AGP. We might have to look some where else...

Reply 12 of 12, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same card....I never figured it, changed driver to mulitple different versions with no luck....had all MOBO drivers installed, still had no luck. I ended up giving up and putting the card away for a while....