VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
I have a 1998 laptop/all-in-one pc that has a modular construction:
It has a STN ( =Super Twist Nematic ) color display with a diagonal of 9.4" inch and a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. It has a contrast knob +/-.

The screen is awful in fast games because maybe bad Hz. It causes "Moire effect" or such (=resolution isn't sharp) when playing fast moving games such as racing car games.

How easy is to find a new modern 9.4" screen to it ? That has modern techniques.

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends mainly on the interface the current panel uses. Could you take some photographs of the cable from the screen to the motherboard, the connector it uses, and the video chip on the motherboard itself?

Similar-sized screens were used on many 2005-era netbooks, so getting one that fits is probably not the challenge. Making it work is. Also note that the netbooks also tended to use crappy TN panels. For a real improvement, look for an IPS panel. But finding one the right size with the right interface may prove a significant challenge.

Reply 2 of 3, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The video chip= CirrusLogic 7548 PCI.
The screen is packed under motherboard and such (=All-in-one PC) so this was just a generic question if better new 9.4" screens exist as upgrade ?

The screen connector if it is it... I saw when peeked a long time ago some white 2-pin / 2pcs white wires or such.

But the STN is horrible for gaming 😀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lzxq_5dcbM

Reply 3 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
user33331 wrote:

The screen connector if it is it... I saw when peeked a long time ago some white 2-pin / 2pcs white wires or such.

That's just the wires for the backlight. Back then, there were already standards for driving LCD screens in notebooks, similar to VGA, DVI, etc. You need to find a screen with the same interface.