VOGONS

First post, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pulled out my fully-functioning GeForce GTX 480 by Galaxy off the shelf. Decided "Hell, I'll try delidding and replacing the TIM!"

Delid was completely successful, not even a scratch on anything except that glue-down cement.

Decided to carefully scrape the glue-down cement off. It's so hard I have to use a 3" pocket knife to do it.

Got over-zealous and caught the tiny metal ends of two or three of the tiny capacitors. SHIT SHIT SHIT!

Put my Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on the GPU die and glued down the IHS anyway...

Slapped it into a Dell Vostro 220, installed the drivers....and it's still working.

Went to try a benchmark...but apparently all of them are in the 2GB+ category. Holy shit! I'm not waiting hours for that shit to download.

But it's working. No artifacts, no flashes, no lines. But the capacitors, from what I understand, are to smooth out power delivery. Anyone here think I can still play games on it as long as I don't overclock or will that just kill the GPU? I have no idea if it's even possible to replace those tiny-ass capacitors. They're, like, 1 mm wide. Oh, they're still THERE... Just the tiny metal end-cap came off. The other side is still intact and the capacitor is still glued down or whatever. It's weird. Most of the time, you hear about someone slicing them completely off with a razorblade. That's not what happened to me.

Am I right to be worried? Even though the card is sitting in a box on the side. With the Windows XP desktop up and everything sitting idle, the GPU was sitting at 50C. That could very well be because I hadn't replaced the existing TIM on the heatsink yet, only the one underneath the IHS. My EVENTUAL plan was to install water-cooling blocks from EK onto them, hence my reluctance to waste a bunch of extra TIM. I have Arctic Silver 5 for that application - Kryonaut is too damned expensive for anything except the delid!

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 1 of 4, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if the cap is missing it could cause frequency issues. Likely you will be ok though if its running.

It is possible if there was any "metal" left on the cap it is still doing its job.

I just got a GTX285 from ebay missing 8 smc's on the pcb and it ran. I installed some anyways.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 4, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, these are those tiny-ass capacitors that surround the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) underneath the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader). I have no idea how in the world I would even go about replacing them and they're so tiny that my eyes have trouble distinguishing the end-cap to see if it's still connected in any way. I would say I'd need to find a magnifying glass, but I've already re-glued the IHS back down (I used Hi-temp Silicone Gasket/Sealant by JB Weld). At least THAT seal will be easier to cut through next time, but I'm not taking that IHS back off unless I can either A. fix those capacitors properly and B. I get more Kryonaut. It's hands-down the best thermal paste I've ever used - better than Arctic Silver 5.

And before anyone suggests, NO. I will NOT be putting liquid metal TIM there. Honestly, I think people who do that are flippin' stupid. Gallium reacts with Aluminium, but it also ends up defacing copper heatsinks too.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 3 of 4, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't recommend any liquid metal. that is insanity. I still have tubes of MX-2 around. Also some IC-7 diamond stuff I don't really care for as it scratches up surfaces.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 4, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly is the most expensive (by volume) TIM I’ve ever bought, but it’s crazy good... I used the last of it on this GPU die. I might get another tube. I usually use AS5 for attaching heat sinks, though. I can buy two tubes that have 50% more TIM per tube for slightly more than that one tube of Kryonaut. But I used some of the Kryonaut on my laptop for the 7800gtx and the cpu. It runs extremely well here 12 years after it’s original purchase date.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png