VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

I got an Nvidia FX5700 256MB with a bundle of stuff. I tested it was working at the time, which it was, but the fan had a very bad rattle/grinding, so I binned the fan and kept the card. Now it looks like this (note the large fan connector!):
bI7HxVCh.jpg

I had a Nvidia 6800 for my AGP XP build. But now the 6800 is artifacting so I am thinking of getting the FX5700 back into service! Can anyone recommend a fan? I did buy one of these:
KCm8Evth.jpg

but the mounting holes I need are completely inaccessible - great design! (also note the small fan connector)
fL3WcvUh.jpg

I also think the long thin silver thing (to the bottom left of the heatsink on the 5700) is too raised up to allow the fan to contact the chip completely.

What would you recommend doing to get my P4 AGP XP PC gaming again? Sticking a big fan on the current heatsink? Somehow forcing the ebay fan onto the 5700? Some other heatsink / fan for the 5700? I'm using my backup MX440 at the moment and want I bit more power so I can try Made Men, a crap looking budget game I got for 50p from a charity shop that needs DX9!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a few versions of those Chinese coolers. One of them should fit. I have one on a GF4 Ti for example. It is a bit smaller in size.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 4, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These fans are called "QQ Coral" and as far as I know, there are two models - you already have the big one, but there is a smaller one, too:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/QQ-Small-Coral-VGA-Vi … TI/263539217606

I use the smaller one to drive a GeForce 4 Ti4200. It also fits on a Radeon 9600XT.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 4 of 4, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That cooler you posted a picture of looks like a job for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A-Ratchetin … s/dp/B000XYOUS6

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D