VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been collecting for some years Voodoo cards.
I was very lucky and managed to get a voodoo1,voodoo2, voodoo banshee, voodoo3 1000, voodoo3 2000,voodoo3 3000 ,voodoo4 and voodoo5
Prices for these cards are crazy by now. and since 3DFX is dead it is an item everybody wants.

i was given this card, it was very beaten....a voodoo rush, and it is also expensive on ebay
it has:

eight >>> ISSI IS41C16256-35K BC73421D 9742
four >>> ALLIANCE AS4C256K16E0-35JC

But there is just one problem...when i turn on the PC...monitor wakes up....and i see artifacts all over the screen

I got 2 choices..
[ b]a) it keep it like it is now, and goes framed into the wall of my room
b) i try to fix it buying new memory and replacing it[/b].

>>But how do i know which brand of memory has to be replaced? ISSI or Alliance?
>>How to i know if its not the memory but one of the 3dfx chips the one faulty?
>>How to i know if its not the memory but the alliance big chip the one ruined?

I Also have an ati 9800pro all in wonder that gives artifacts, but that uses very squared like tiny memory.even more difficult to find replacement or even replace it.

woo.jpg

Reply 1 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look over every single tiny component and every pin\leg on each of the chips. Often times the legs on the large chips get dented or crushed and will touch other legs which causes problems. Straightening them can be a pain, but its a fairly easy fix (I usually use a razor blade or something else that is super thin). Just be careful not to actually break one if it is bent. The next most likely cause is a broken tiny SMD capacitor\resistor. Look over the card slowly and carefully... I've overlooked missing SMD caps three times before finally noticing them. They're tiny but they can usually be replaced with a steady hand and some soldering experience. Figuring out the correct value is likely to be nearly impossible, but a lot of times it isn't as important as just getting something on there.

EDIT: Also, its a good idea to thoroughly clean the card too. I usually use a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a toothbrush and just scrub every inch of the card then let it dry. Using a pencil eraser to shine up the PCI contacts can help too.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 7, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pabloz wrote:

>>But how do i know which brand of memory has to be replaced? ISSI or Alliance?

If you have the scrambled screen under pure dos or just Windows it may be one of the ISSI chips connected to the Alliance GPU, if the scramble only occurs running 3DFX software it may be the alliance chips connected to the 3DFX chips.

Pabloz wrote:

>>How to i know if its not the memory but one of the 3dfx chips the one faulty?

If you can start any 3dfx software without getting errors the chip may be, at least partially, functional, otherwise you might get an error message after starting any 3dfx functions.

Pabloz wrote:

>>How to i know if its not the memory but the alliance big chip the one ruined?

There might be no video output at all, but only a beep code stating there is no video card found during POST.

Reply 3 of 7, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i am checking capacitor by capacitor with a picture i found online

but i think its one of those memory chips.

the card gives artifacts on DOS. NOT SURE if in 3d since in 3D you also use 2D...

what happens if i remove one ISSI chip at a time with hot air? the card should work without 1 chip...and should work without two ISSi chips...right?

by removing one by one and testing the card.. i might get lucky?

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also have a bad solder joint one one or more of the chips and legs of the chips.

I have a Voodoo 2 12MB card where one of the 3dfx chips has most legs loose on 2 sides.

I haven't gotten around to fixing it because
1. It will take a long time to manually resolder all of those legs
2. I have other projects I am more interested in.

I really doubt the card will work at all if you completely remove one of the RAM chips.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a question for someone that knows about memory specifications

the memory is IS41C16256-35K
but i found online a seller with IS41C16256-60K

what is that 60K? can 60K replace the 35K ??

sorry to ask. i have zero knowledge about SOJ memory chips

Reply 6 of 7, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe the 35 signifies the access time in nanoseconds with k denoting a specific model in a series of memory chips.

If it is indeed a 35ns memory chip you can only replace it with chips with the same access time or lower. 60ns would be too slow.