VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have gone from a Voodoo 3 to a Radeon to a GeForce 2 GTS back to a Voodoo 3 for my Slot 1 system, simply because I've found that the OpenGL and D3D wrappers and render paths for some of my favorite games from the 1995-1999 period are just too unreliable or problematic on non-3dfx hardware that is fast enough to warrant a move forward.

The straw that broke the camel's back was Jane's F-15 not launching with a GeForce 2 GTS after being patched to 1.17f for D3D support (it kept complaining about MSAPI.DLL being missing) but the issues are not just that. Jane's Longbow 2 is another title that just doesn't work well in other render modes (I know this looks like a pattern but bear with me.) At the end of the day I decided that being able to play I-War, Tomb Raider, Diablo II (not that this adds MUCH to the game but it's nice anyway), NFS II, Rainbow Six with 3D acceleration all made up for not having 32-bit rendering or 100+ fps.

In short, after a few affairs with other graphics cards, I am back inseperably united with my Voodoo 3. This is however kind of a letdown in a way. I already have a Voodoo 2 SLI in my K6-2 system so I was hoping I could go forward with some other card in this one, but either I'm a habitual creature and I can't make do with what I like playing, or there was some way people who opted for the TNT2 could play these games that I do not know about.

So my question to all of you who go for non-3dfx cards is: What am I missing?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 14, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that's kind of to be expected. V3-V5 should be unbeatable for the time period that you're focusing on (1995-1999) — those are golden years of Glide, after all. But if you want to go past that (say, 2000-2003) — that's where Voodoo lost its ground. You can see games gradually dropping Glide support and as a result GF2 or GF3 would be a better card for games that came in those years.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 14, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't ever play above 1024x768 nor games released after late 1999-early 2000 then there's little need to change that 3000 of yours. 😀

Really, it was just when Quake 3 Arena was released that games started benefiting from the Geforce. 512x512 textures, 32bpp, trilinear filtering, higher polygon counts.. the advantages were starting to become more noticeable by that point. Before that though, I say 85% of developers worked with 3dfx's feature set as the target hardware for their games, and it clearly shows when you want to play a game like Unreal(without UTGLR) and the Voodoo3 surpasses all of its competitors, both IQ and performance wise.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 3 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

If you don't ever play above 1024x768 nor games released after late 1999-early 2000 then there's little need to change that 3000 of yours. 😀

Really, it was just when Quake 3 Arena was released that games started benefiting from the Geforce. 512x512 textures, 32bpp, trilinear filtering, higher polygon counts.. the advantages were starting to become more noticeable by that point. Before that though, I say 85% of developers worked with 3dfx's feature set as the target hardware for their games, and it clearly shows when you want to play a game like Unreal(without UTGLR) and the Voodoo3 surpasses all of its competitors, both IQ and performance wise.

Yes, and that is part of the issue. I was hoping to target 1998-2000 with this system, but the problem is a card that will perform good at demanding 2000 games (NOLF, Thief II, Deus Ex, etc.) kind of bring a Voodoo 3 to its knees, but anything that handles them well (aside from a Voodoo 5 I suppose) fails at accelerating many games from 1998-99.

I guess 2000 is a different beast altogether and most games of that year are better run on Tualatin and onwards with DX7+ hardware. I wwas hoping 98-2000 could have been considered a single era, but alas, not really.

Reply 4 of 14, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Yes, and that is part of the issue. I was hoping to target 1998-2000 with this system, but the problem is a card that will perform good at demanding 2000 games (NOLF, Thief II, Deus Ex, etc.) kind of bring a Voodoo 3 to its knees, but anything that handles them well (aside from a Voodoo 5 I suppose) fails at accelerating many games from 1998-99.

I guess 2000 is a different beast altogether and most games of that year are better run on Tualatin and onwards with DX7+ hardware. I wwas hoping 98-2000 could have been considered a single era, but alas, not really.

Maybe you could save up some money and give Voodoo3 PCi - Voodoo2 SLI a chance? (plus a cheap VGA Splitter if you want to avoid passthrough degradation or plugging-unplugging)

If you decide to go either way you won't really need a secondary system to do what you could already achieve do with your current setup 😉

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is we were used to lower performance back then too. There is no perfect solution. With old hardware you have to be happy with compromise.

I like using Zeckensack's Glide emulator on 9x in some cases. Best to use with at least GeForce FX for shader features needed with Glide emulation. I have a Voodoo5 but actually prefer this in most cases because the Voodoo5 5500 isn't really fast enough for 1600x1200 in some Glide games.

Reply 7 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I preferred my GF2GTS over the Voodoo3 in the day, as I wanted to play newer games at the time, and drop that 16-bit color limitation along with it and have FSAA 😐 and as an artist this was very important

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 14, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's alot of work arounds.

Glide emulation is one I'm trying out now as i can use a hdmi kvm with my quadro fx 3000 and get higher resolutions and performance than 3dfx cards.

I was using a ti4600 agp and a voodoo 3 2000 pci before and that was fine. Just use bios to select what card you want to use.

You could also use a voodoo 3-5 agp and somthing like a fx 5500 pci or so.

Last edited by RogueTrip2012 on 2018-03-28, 01:27. Edited 1 time in total.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 10 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is one of my favorite perks of having a decent collection that if something isn't suited or I decide to use a different flavor I can, I am always collecting cards especially when the interest is low and prices are very low.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing I really need to point out; after reverting to the Voodoo 3 I can tell you that 3dfx's 2D quality was lightyears ahead of nVidia - you really need to experience the two back to back to appreciate the difference.

Reply 12 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The signal quality varies among NV cards. Some are terrible, some are as good as can be. If I remember right, with GF4 they finally tried to address this problem among their board manufacturers.

3dfx and ATI had tighter control over it the entire time. Except Voodoo Rush. And ATI had some interference issues with at least 9700 (scrolling lines in image).

Reply 13 of 14, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

The signal quality varies among NV cards. Some are terrible, some are as good as can be.

Definitely. The Canopus Spectra series of TNT/Geforce cards with the interchangeable daughterboards have a fantastic video output which is worth seeing for yourself

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 14 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried to write a shader about that once.

A texture shader to provide the strange 16x16 dither pattern would be the appropriate Geforce-icing before this vga post 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem