VOGONS

First post, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

I've always considered those VIA chipsets from the era to be slower than what Intel produced at the time, the memory controller certainly felt like it was the bottleneck.

If we're talking chipsets older than KT266A, yeah those have problems. Their AGP compliance is poor and memory controllers pretty lame. Video drivers often disable AGP features to try to bring some semblance of stability.

KT266A brought them up to par in most respects. But I've still seen a big deficit with Windows GUI performance compared to nForce2 for some reason. Even K8T800 gets beaten. It makes Windows seem less responsive. But as far as I know they are competitive in 3D.

I actually noticed something about nForce4 GUI performance the other day when I had my 939 system hooked up to a 1440p display. Full screen redraws, especially in Firefox, were fairly slow. Dropping the resolution to 1080p sped things up considerably.

However the 1440p slowdown only occurred in XP. Win7 was just fine, even with desktop composition disabled. So it may not have been an nForce4 issue, but rather an unoptimized WinXP driver for the GTX 560 I was using. But then again, those old VIA chipsets that are sluggish under XP run just fine under Win7 and 10, so who really knows what's going on there.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Standard Def Steve wrote:

However the 1440p slowdown only occurred in XP. Win7 was just fine, even with desktop composition disabled. So it may not have been an nForce4 issue, but rather an unoptimized WinXP driver for the GTX 560 I was using. But then again, those old VIA chipsets that are sluggish under XP run just fine under Win7 and 10, so who really knows what's going on there.

Something related to XP GDI acceleration perhaps. Also, 2560x1440 might be outside the range of some buffers of the era. Who knows. Something like how the X850 and 6800 cards were designed for 2 megapixel resolutions in 3D and if you went beyond that you lost efficiency because there were too many pixels for the occlusion culling buffers to completely manage.

ATI actually had some D3D10 GPUs that they didn't bother to support XP GDI acceleration at all with. At least for some number of drivers. I discovered this when I was running a 780G system and using the IGP. XP was horribly slow with any kind of redraw.

Reply 2 of 5, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Something related to XP GDI acceleration perhaps. Also, 2560x1440 might be outside the range of some buffers of the era.

That's what I'm beginning to think, as it's either fast (1080p or lower) or slow (1440p). Unlike those VIA chipsets, there's no in between. I also just slotted the GTX-560 into a much newer H77 motherboard, and found that XP at 1440p was slow on that machine, too. So I was wrong to blame the nForce4.

Interestingly, a GTX-680 does just fine with XP at high resolution.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Standard Def Steve wrote:

That's what I'm beginning to think, as it's either fast (1080p or lower) or slow (1440p). Unlike those VIA chipsets, there's no in between. I also just slotted the GTX-560 into a much newer H77 motherboard, and found that XP at 1440p was slow on that machine, too. So I was wrong to blame the nForce4.

Interestingly, a GTX-680 does just fine with XP at high resolution.

I have bad news. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me before, but I too have been playing with a 1440p monitor. I've been messing with various older PCIe cards with XP, 7 and 10. I am currently using a Z68 motherboard, though I have also used a nForce4 board. I threw in the GTX 580 that I have and it works fine with XP at 1440p. I actually don't recall any problems with 1440p and XP. I have also tried X1950, HD 2900 and GF 8800.

The Radeon X1000 series is pretty interesting. Dual link DVI (at least on the high-end cards). They do excellent 16-bit color dithering for old games. It looks better than what GF7 does. The X1000 cards just do better quality 3D in general than GF7. Work well with DGVoodoo1. No Windows 8/10 support though.

Reply 4 of 5, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh. That is so weird. I wonder if the video BIOS (Zotac) has anything to do with this card's subpar QHD performance in XP. But yeah, it is exactly the same type of sluggishness I used to see with VIA chipsets back in the day. Even YouTube video is kinda choppy with XP @ 1440, with lots of tearing. It's as smooth as silk under 7, with or without desktop composition.

I can rule drivers out; I use the same XP driver with my GTX-680 and it's fine.