VOGONS

GPU Choice

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Working on another Windows 9x system, the Fisher Price i will keep at work to play retro with my co workers, this is retro for home, but I've got choices to make, but first specs

Duron 1600
Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G PRO2
512mb DDR 500 OCZ Gold @ 133 2-2-2-5
120gb HDD

Now for my conumdrum, aka the GPU Choice.

Onboard Geforce 4 MX
Riva TNT2 Pro Dell OEM 128bit but 16mb Grahpics Ram

Maybe if my buddy can find it a Geforce2 MX400

Reply 3 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure how well a 7600GS would work in Windows 98. Depending on what you're intended to play on it, I'd go with either the integrated video or the MX420. If what I've read is accurate, the IGP has the same core config and clocks as the 420, but with your systems 500Mhz DDR, it should be a fair amount faster than most stand-alone MX420 models (since they tend to either have slow 64bit DDR or 128bit SDR... I have cards with both types personally). If your board is running in dual channel mode (not sure if it supports that), that would help even more.

EDIT: Just saw that your RAM is running at 133. If you can get it running at the fastest speed the board supports AND in dual channel, it should be faster than the MX420. I see a good opportunity for some benchmarks. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 5, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I second the integrated GPU if you can get the board to run the memory at full speed and in dual channel with two 256MB modules instead. It would even work as a temporary solution in case you find a Geforce 3 or Geforce 4 Ti sometime later. 😀
The 7600GS would be overkill in my opinion and would need later drivers which might not work well with some older games.

Reply 5 of 5, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll test igp, I was running ram in sync with CPU as I've always felt a 1:1 ration on socket a felt faster than async