VOGONS

Cirrus Logic Eagle II 8-bit VGA card

Topic actions

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I started going through several old machines that I acquired in bulk a while ago. Among all the 286 machines sporting 8-bit Paradise PVGA1A cards, was a 386DX with a slightly more interesting one: a Cirrus Logic Eagle II with DB15 and DB9 connectors. The unusual system font at post prompted me to investigate, and I found out this card was relatively rare after reading some info about it on Vogons.

I haven't been able to find much more about it though. The marking on the PCB indicates "VGA-0021A" but this didn't seem to yield much results either. Are any of you guys familiar with this card? I'd like to know about the dip switches settings at the back. I am currently setting up a 286/20 with EGA, and I wonder if I could replace the EGA Wonder 800+ with the Eagle II.

yeplzhYl.jpg?1

K47R1psl.jpg

K9wOpQhl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 31, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks very similar to the Video7 VEGA VGA card. The chipset is compatible with VGA, EGA, CGA, MDA, and Herc, with additional 800x600 16-color and 100/132 column text modes. The dipswitches are most likely for choosing the monitor type (mono, CGA, EGA, VGA, multiscan, or auto).

Don't know if I'd want to use it in a 286-20 though because of the slow 8-bit bus.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 3 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe this card has the chipset that is supposedly 100% CGA compatible. I think that's what makes it rare. I presume that doesn't include CGA composite modes, unless it has a composite connector somewhere on it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 31, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I confirm that Digger works. I never had any success making this game work on VGA hardware previously, so it's definitely more compatible than any other cards I've had so far.

I'd love to test it on my CGA monitor but I'm probably not going to do it unless I can find info on the DIP switches settings first.

gMx1Yjcl.jpg

LbXgbngl.jpg

nLBsFRDl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 31, by Ter Roshak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got one that is labeled KP-800 VGA/16 and I desperately need to know what the dip switches and jumpers are for.
Hm what's the worst that can happen, when I try all combinations? 😁

Mine is setup for an CGA monitor and vga secound, at least the bios complains every boot up about vga being setup as secound..
When the Turbo XT is Setup I will test all modes, but unfortunately I need to use it in CGA mode, as the BIOS does not support vga 😒

Reply 7 of 31, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:

I haven't been able to find much more about it though. The marking on the PCB indicates "VGA-0021A" but this didn't seem to yield much results either.

Its FCCID, so you can get from it company selling that card in USA and sometimes year. Usually nothing else usefull... Yours seems to be from Arche Technologies Inc registered in 1989.

https://fccid.io/GVWVGA0021A

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 8 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these cards too. I actually want to try it in my 286-16, as it would be nice to have a hybrid EGA/VGA system, but i wonder if setting EGA as primary will stop the games from still detecting VGA and run it instead of EGA.

Last edited by carlostex on 2018-08-19, 10:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had similar issues with an oak ega/vga card jumpered in ega mode: some games detected it as vga and either show garbage or did not play at all. So I switched back to real ega cards. The speed boost the hybrid card gave was really nice but the compatibility was a pita.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

I had similar issues with an oak ega/vga card jumpered in ega mode: some games detected it as vga and either show garbage or did not play at all. So I switched back to real ega cards. The speed boost the hybrid card gave was really nice but the compatibility was a pita.

I'm going to test this cirrus card when i have a chance. If i can't make it work the PEGA2 card will stay. One thing i have to say, these Cirrus hybrid cards look like dog shit when connected to a LCD screen. Good thing i got back to CRT's. 😎

Reply 11 of 31, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:
keropi wrote:

I'm going to test this cirrus card when i have a chance. If i can't make it work the PEGA2 card will stay. One thing i have to say, these Cirrus hybrid cards look like dog shit when connected to a LCD screen. Good thing i got back to CRT's. 😎

Mght be due to the RAMDAC, which should be the long, big IC with the sticker on the right side of the PCB.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 12 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW, the yellow color on Digger is wrong, it should be brown. Either that monitor doesn't care about the intensity pin or its the CGA emulation of the card that isn't correct. I bet its the earlier problem rather than the latter.

You can test all the low resolutions with a CGA monitor since it is all 15khz TTL. I think only the higher resolutions use 21KHz so using those modes on a CGA monitor is a big no no.

Reply 13 of 31, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

BTW, the yellow color on Digger is wrong, it should be brown. Either that monitor doesn't care about the intensity pin or its the CGA emulation of the card that isn't correct.

Interesting. I remember the yellow color being yellow like that on my Dad's Olivetti M24 back in the day, since the monitor that came with the M24 lacked the special circuitry that would turn dark yellow into brown in 100% CGA compatible monitors. But then again, the CGA compatibility on that thing wasn't 100% to begin with. For one thing, it didn't support the undocumented white-red-cyan palette. Outrun, which used that palette in CGA mode, would display on the M24 in the standard white-magenta-cyan palette instead.

Reply 15 of 31, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally managed to pull the card out of storage and saved an image of the video BIOS using NSSI

Filename
eagle2.zip
File size
16.43 KiB
Downloads
132 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 16 of 31, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a BSR 386SX/16 computer with that Eagle II chipset built in via a daughterboard. I've also read its supposed to have very high CGA compatibility. my built-in version only has the VGA output though and no switches. I found the VGA capabilities to be extremely slow.

Reply 17 of 31, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

I have a BSR 386SX/16 computer with that Eagle II chipset built in via a daughterboard. I've also read its supposed to have very high CGA compatibility. my built-in version only has the VGA output though and no switches. I found the VGA capabilities to be extremely slow.

I think I've seen your blog while googling for this particular card. Interesting read! My card is also set up in a 386SX16 at the moment and it is indeed very slow - around 4.7 in 3DBENCH IIRC. But then again it's an 8-bit card and maybe it's maxing out the limit of the 8bit bus anyway?

OTOH I've been testing different dip switches combination - it's set up in EGA mode at the moment and seems to work ok with the EGA games I've tried so far. I've used the settings from similar card:

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/U … VGA-VGP-II.html

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 18 of 31, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can compare the BIOS to the Spea/V7 VEGA VGA.
It is this card: https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_cl_vga.html

Attachments

• Filename
    VEGAVGA.rar
    File size
    16.66 KiB
    Downloads
    96 downloads
    File comment
    Spea/V7 VEGA VGA
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 19 of 31, by labilbe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
I confirm that Digger works. I never had any success making this game work on VGA hardware previously, so it's definitely more c […]
Show full quote

I confirm that Digger works. I never had any success making this game work on VGA hardware previously, so it's definitely more compatible than any other cards I've had so far.

I'd love to test it on my CGA monitor but I'm probably not going to do it unless I can find info on the DIP switches settings first.

gMx1Yjcl.jpg

LbXgbngl.jpg

nLBsFRDl.jpg

Hi, excuse me, do you know how to change vertical and horizontal positions (+ widths and heights) on this monitor?
I saw holes in the left of the screen but I don't understand how to change that.
Thank you.