VOGONS

VGA or SVGA

Topic actions

First post, by jmdlcar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dose Dos 6.22 support VGA or SVGA? If it dose what driver do I need. If it will how is it setup in Autoexec.bat and Config.sys or both?

Reply 1 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's more a case of whether your graphics card and monitor support the standard and resolutions.
For DOS, the relevant software (or game) must support it. Practically all graphics cards (that support VGA) have built in support for "standard" text and graphics modes (the one for VGA is mode 13h).

Some graphics card manufacturers did provide drivers for certain software (like CAD programs, Word processors and Lotus 1-2-3).
Later on, for SVGA, most games relied on the VESA standard to support higher resolutions under DOS.

Reply 3 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no such thing as a DOS graphics driver.

DOS programs have direct hardware access to the video card, and each handles video output in a different way.

Thus, it entirely depends on what programs you are running.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 13, by jmdlcar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That what I thought but it been a long time since I use Dos in fact about 18 years. I did see graphics.com in the Dos 6.22 directory that why I ask.

I need to know will a P1, P2 or P3 work with Dos or will I need to fine a 486?

Thank you everyone that try to help me out.

Reply 5 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik, DOS isn't even able to distinguish between EGA and VGA. EGA is the highest graphics standard that DOS "directly" supports (by EGA.SYS and EGA.CPI - allowing to load fonts). Everything else that DOS does goes through the BIOS anyway, so in the end DOS doesn't even need to know what kind of graphics card is installed.

Reply 6 of 13, by jmdlcar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Afaik, DOS isn't even able to distinguish between EGA and VGA. EGA is the highest graphics standard that DOS "directly" supports (by EGA.SYS and EGA.CPI - allowing to load fonts). Everything else that DOS does goes through the BIOS anyway, so in the end DOS doesn't even need to know what kind of graphics card is installed.

What about this?

Reply 8 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Really, DOS will run on almost any Intel processor, old or new.

Well at least until the CSM is removed in 2020 then DOS will only run on old processors.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 13, by jmdlcar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Really, DOS will run on almost any Intel processor, old or new.

I want the sound to work for games and Dossound told me the type of sound card in my Laptop it wouldn't work. That why I'm looking for a older Computer.

Reply 10 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, the processor doesn't matter as long as you can put a DOS-compatible sound card in it.

To make your life easy, look for pretty much any machine from the early to mid 1990's, i.e. about 1990 to about 1997. Almost all of the computers made in this era will make acceptable DOS machines.

So this means 486, Pentium, PII, and early PIII era.

Reply 11 of 13, by jmdlcar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Honestly, the processor doesn't matter as long as you can put a DOS-compatible sound card in it.

It would be hard to put a sound card in a Laptop at lease I think. Don't get mad I had to say that.

Reply 12 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry I missed you want a laptop... that changes things, but only a little bit.

Get a laptop from the mid-90's. Something Toshiba or IBM, maybe. Check the specs to make sure of the following:

-- 486 or better processor
-- Sound Blaster-compatible sound card (it will almost always specifically say that it is Sound Blaster-compatible if it is. If it doesn't say it somewhere on the specs online, or the advertisements for the laptop, or somewhere, then it most likely will not work in DOS.)
-- Make sure it has a TFT (active-matrix) screen and not a passive-matrix screen. Passive screens are not very good and have annoying motion blur in games. You can find out in the laptop specs or sometimes the model number - if it has a "T" on it then that can stand for TFT, for example Toshiba 460CDT (the active-matrix) as opposed to 460CS (passive-matrix)
-- Check the keyboard to make sure that the Ctrl and Alt keys, and other keys often used in games, aren't placed somewhere weird. Some keyboards have them on top of each other, for example. This isn't too big of a problem since you can often change the default keys in the game, but still.

And that's about it, everything else is almost certain to be suitable for most DOS games.

Reply 13 of 13, by jmdlcar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Sorry I missed you want a laptop... that changes things, but only a little bit.

You didn't missed anything I will take what I fine but like or be able to use a LCD monitor.

I remember my first Computer had I think a 5MB Hard Drive when I went to Linux I had a 1GB Hard Drive now I put Dos on a 1GB USB Thumb Drive. Thing has change a lot. I just need to get the upper memory fixed when it boot up.

I have some message here Dos 6 conventional memory tricks