VOGONS

Old games at high-res/60 fps

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just realized that Looking Glass Studios' Dark Engine used in the Thief games and System Shock 2 was also a massive hog for CPU time. Minimum CPU requirements for Thief 1 called for a measly P166 in late 1998... yeah right, even a Pentium Pro/II can and will struggle greatly in many areas. I'm thinking the very impressive soundscape didn't make matters any easier. I wonder if using A3D helped any or if it actually added even more load. I could see how they could conceivably accelerate a lot of what Thief was doing on an Aureal chip, but it was probably too much of a hassle anyway.

Somewhat recently, I had an old desktop unit just laying around and I decided I needed to make a quick buck, plus it wouldn't hurt to shift some redundant hardware from the house. It was an i815 board paired with a Pentium III 1GHz and I only really needed to fit it with a video card to sell it as a complete system and the only spares I had laying around were Riva TNT cards. So, I grabbed a Viper V550 and installed it, whilst thinking to myself just how much I was hampering that CPU with this video card. And yet, I was very surprised when I set it up and started doing some tests out of curiosity. Pretty much all of the relevant games from 1997-1999 and even some from 2000 ran particularly great on that TNT, albeit at low resolutions of course, so 640x480 and 800x600.
It was a surprise seeing a lot of games running really well on this, which really drives the point that most of these games were severely CPU limited at the time and even a single Voodoo2 would have been enough for pretty much everything up until a certain point, provided you had a good CPU.

Reply 21 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Catalyst 7.11 OpenGL also fixes problems with Half Life GotY. And I've found it works for X800 as well as later cards. Maybe R300 cards as well then. I wonder what ATI did to OpenGL with Catalyst 7.12 and later.

Reply 22 of 23, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I know, that 7.11 enable table fog, or at least it's first driver, which render fog in Thief 2 correctly. And with 7.12 ATI remove support for some OpenGL extensions (but the fog is still working):

http://www.geeks3d.com/20080623/how-to-run-op … i-catalyst-712/

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98