VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I realize this is on the very edge of retro at only 10 years old...but hoping someone can confirm this

I have two XFX GeForce GTX 280 1 GB Cards in an XFX NForce 780i board. With both cards in, the system keeps telling me it only detects one card and to move it to slot 1 for non SLI Configuration. The other card, the card I am questioning about here, has power, lights are on, fans run on it, but it doesnt appear to being detected in any slot I put it in. I get no video out of it either, but it again has power and powers on when the board boots up...

When the card is put in as the only card in the system, the board powers on, there are several beeps and no video...the card has power and a green light on it as well..fan is moving normally.

Is the card dead? Or is there something I can do to try and get it working? If not, I need to return it and get another one...

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GPU have lost contact with PCB, it's repairable, but right now it would be cheaper to just find another GTX 280.
I can also suggest to mod BIOS on all working cards and radically tone down GPU voltage for 3D. You will lose almost all overclocking capability, but cards will work much cooler and practically silent. That way they will last much longer.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 7, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was a card that I just bought and was hooking up for the first time.....

I submited for a return / refund and purchased another one and will set it up when it arrives..

Thanks for the technical details though, that makes perfect sense....

Out of curiosity, if the seller doesnt want the card back, what is the process to fix it? I could give it a go...

Reply 5 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smack2k wrote:

Ahh, that trick....that doesnt tend to hold for long though does it? LIke the "reflow" of the XBOX 360s and PS3s in the past.

Oven.. probably not so much.

Hot air gun and squirting some no-clean liquid flux under the chip while you reflow the solder.. probably much more likely to hold up.

I have a PS3 that I reflowed over a year ago with the hot air gun on my rework station and it has not given me any trouble whatsoever.

Granted, it did work beforehand, but I took it apart to de-lid, clean, and re-apply new thermal compound at the same time in order to take care of the rampant overheating problem.

I have another PS3 that I need to do that to as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also some chances that contact was lost between crystal and BGA on which it was mounted on. Such defect can't be repaired unless you replace the whole GPU.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.