VOGONS

Reply 20 of 47, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the only material damages I can see are the missing SMD component (labeled R143JNB89, but googling this gives me nada, so if anyone can tell me what exactly I need to replace this with I would be grateful

As I've said before - standard 14.318 mhz crystal oscillator.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

the only material damages I can see are the missing SMD component (labeled R143JNB89, but googling this gives me nada, so if anyone can tell me what exactly I need to replace this with I would be grateful

As I've said before - standard 14.318 mhz crystal oscillator.

Thank you I have ordered a dozen 😀

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-05-06, 12:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mzry wrote:

Yeah you got there pretty much the best V3 worth owning, hope you bring it to life!

So do I, fingers crossed. I also changed the cooler I ordered for this card to the below:

1-Pieces-Aluminium-Heatsink-Cooler-40x10mm-Fan-For-PC-Computer-Northbridge-Chipset-Cooling.jpg_200x200.jpg

The other coller, with the fan on top, was 50mm high, and with the GPU die etc added that 55mm would have blocked off 3 PCI slots. This one is only 45mm high and should block only two slots (one of which is shared with the AGP slot anyhow). With active cooling 183MHz should be achievable 😁

Reply 24 of 47, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd go for a large flat heatsink at the back piping as well as can from whichever components get hot and integrate cpu and gpu cooling with a funnel or two. Though I'd also underclock it and negate much of the need.

Reply 25 of 47, by -Maverick-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This reminds me of something similar I did back in the early 2000's with a Zalman cooler.

http://dbzer.net/3dfx/Voodoo_3_3000_PCI_01.jpg
http://dbzer.net/3dfx/Voodoo_3_3000_PCI_02.jpg
http://dbzer.net/3dfx/Voodoo_3_3000_PCI_03.jpg
http://dbzer.net/3dfx/Voodoo_3_3000_PCI_04.jpg

If anyone was around during the glory days of Voodoofiles, you might have stumbled across the forum thread.

edit: fixed linkes, my mistake. added attachments just in case.

Attachments

Last edited by -Maverick- on 2020-03-12, 07:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right.. so.. All the components arrived in the mail last week, so the first order of business was to get the crystal oscillater soldered onto the PCB (please let me know whether my assumption that this has no polarity is true or not..)

3dfx_Voodoo_3_3000_TV-_Out_AGP_C_Repaired_01.jpg

Next, I applied a generous amount of thermal paste onto the graphics chip.

3dfx_Voodoo_3_3000_TV-_Out_AGP_C_Repaired_02.jpg

Then I mounted the chipset cooler onto the card and if I may say so, it looks pretty good..

3dfx_Voodoo_3_3000_TV-_Out_AGP_C_Repaired_03.jpg

It covers the adjacent PCI slot and the one underneath, but it should cool pretty effectively. I will definitely try pushing this card to 3500 speeds as soon as I have time to test it in a system. 😎

Last edited by appiah4 on 2021-04-21, 22:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 47, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, push it higher then that! 😀

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 28 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've run into another problem, this card has one more missing SMD component. I've marked it with red in the attached picture. Can anyone who has access to a working Voodoo 3 3000 tell me what that component is supposed to be? Capacitor? Resistor? Rating? I need to source one and solder it onto the board before trying the card.

Attachments

Reply 29 of 47, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I've run into another problem, this card has one more missing SMD component. I've marked it with red in the attached picture. Can anyone who has access to a working Voodoo 3 3000 tell me what that component is supposed to be? Capacitor? Resistor? Rating? I need to source one and solder it onto the board before trying the card.

I do not own such a card, but my guess would be an inductor with the same values as the component L9 on the board.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 30 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Aideka wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I do not own such a card, but my guess would be an inductor with the same values as the component L9 on the board.

How can I determine the rating of the inductor on L9?

Reply 31 of 47, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't worry too much about it, it's just a part of a LC low pass filter for one of the VGA signals. You can borrow such inductor from any dead video card or motherboard, its parameters are not critical.

Reply 32 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I dont really have anything Im willing to scavenge for this.. what would be a likely fitting component here? 0402 I presume? What inductance?

Reply 34 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SSTV2 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

What inductance?

68 or 82 nH should do fine.

Many thanks; is it better to go for higher inductance when in doubt as one would for capacitors?

Reply 35 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SSTV2 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

What inductance?

68 or 82 nH should do fine.

My inductors came in, but I made an oops and got 82uH 0805 inductors 🙁

I can find 47nH 0603 or 150nH 0805 inductors locally, would either of these work?

Reply 37 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

I would try the 47nH.

I ordered 50 82nH 0805s from Aliexpress.. another month of waiting before I am finished with this project *le sigh*

Reply 38 of 47, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While you wait it's still worth trying the 47, can't hurt. 0603 should fit into a 0805 footprint.,

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 39 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The inductor is done, but more roadblocks. The card has EVEN MORE pissing components.

R8: A zero ohm link by the looks of it, I can probably just jumper-wire this across.

Voodoo 3 Missing Component (2) R8.JPG
Filename
Voodoo 3 Missing Component (2) R8.JPG
File size
157.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

CR10: An SMD Diode? I'm guessing it is an SMA S1G from what I can read (which should make it a 400V 1A Diode?)

Voodoo 3 Missing Component (2) CR10.JPG
Filename
Voodoo 3 Missing Component (2) CR10.JPG
File size
189.62 KiB
Views
File license

C100:No definite information on what this is but I am almost certain it is 0.1uF 16V 0603, this is the rating I've found RAM capacitors to be on pretty much every Voodoo card I have.

Voodoo 3 Missing Component (2) C100.JPG
Filename
Voodoo 3 Missing Component (2) C100.JPG
File size
113.83 KiB
Views
File license

I will put YET ANOTHER order for these parts..

The more I look at this card the more it looks like things have been HARVESTED from it, so I may end up with a non-working card in the end regardless 🙁 This has taken WAY longer than I thought it would but if it works in the end it will be hilarious and magnificent at the same time.