VOGONS

First post, by WarGreymon77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Imagine my surprise when I go from a weak 486 running Windows For Workgroups 3.11 to a Pentium III running Windows 98 SE. Before, I was able to run NASCAR Racing 2 at like 4 FPS--very choppy--and couldn't buy NFS 2 at all. I was jealous of my cousins and their Pentium II which ran the racing games with ease. They had "this thing called a Voodoo card". So yeah, that led me to the Pentium III with a Voodoo 5 5500 of my very own. I never had a problem with backwards compatibility except with these two games. Even with the Voodoo 5, when you'd start the games, you'd get a black screen with the intro music starting to play, and then it would crash. They're very finicky about this. I remember reading that Need For Speed II will only accept a few of the older Voodoo cards. Voodoo1, Voodoo Rush, and... something else I think? I read it's because they were the only 3D accelerator cards available at the time.

These days I just use a glide wrapper. But if I were going to build a retro PC with a real Sound Blaster card and Voodoo graphics card(s)...

Reply 4 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure NFSIISE had a patch to support later Voodoo cards. Out of the box, it only supports the original Voodoo and mayyyybe Rush as well?

Anyway, this is merely because it detects these cards during installation and asks if you'd want to have an extra executable copied over which contains the Glide version. It's as simple as going into the disc and copying the executable over yourself. I think the executables are like this:
nfsIIse.exe
nfsIIsea.exe (which is the accelerated one)

In any case, I've played this game on most Voodoo cards and it was as simple as copying over the file, so it shouldn't be an issue on any of them.

Reply 5 of 8, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exactly as F2bnp says: it’ll auto detect a V1/Rush and copy the seA executable over (with fancy icon!), but you can still use the same executable on V2/V3/etc cards by copying it manually and modifying the shortcut.

Reply 6 of 8, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Well, the Voodoo 5 used a completely different chipset and also the Glide api evolved over time. It wasn't much different with other apis.

90s opengl is fairly compatible still.

Reply 7 of 8, by WarGreymon77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RichB93 wrote:

Exactly as F2bnp says: it’ll auto detect a V1/Rush and copy the seA executable over (with fancy icon!), but you can still use the same executable on V2/V3/etc cards by copying it manually and modifying the shortcut.

Hmm. So it's just a different exe file?