VOGONS

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm planning on re-installing my Riva TNT2 M64 card (ASUS brand) AGP card for games that support it since the GeForce2 MX400 doesn't play nice with some of the older D3D games and install an EVGA branded GeForce 6200 PCI card for the T&L games, such as Command and Conquer: Generals, Joint Ops: Typhoon Rising, NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, Blackhawk Force Down, and so on.

I have a KVM switch box that I can use to switch the video signal around, however, I have no idea if that'll work or not. Should I just use the GeForce 6200 (AGP) and the VooDoo2 card, or use the GeForce2 MX400 with the VooDoo2 card?

If my assumption is correct, the only way to have multiple cards installed would be to have the same brand and model, correct, or is there a program that changes between cards for certain games?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure you can have multiple GPUs in Win98SE (I used 7800 GTX 256MB + GTX 780 Ti combo as well as single 7900 GX2 😉).
However, to switch between them as videos outputs requires disabling one and enabling the other one (+ OS restart).
You can bypass above method if you use PCI and AGP/PCI-e cards at the same time (since in most MBs BIOS you can simply choose which port should be video output).
Windows will in that case use by default card in slot you picked in BIOS.

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 5, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was going to point out that I have integrated graphics (SiS Mirage 2), but, the CMOS battery is dead, and I have to sacrifice a DDR RAM stick from the sleeping Dell Dimension 4550 since the 512MB RAM stick I had installed broke mysteriously (mainly because of a dead clock battery), and I believe the integrated GPU requires at least 512MB system RAM in order for the GPU to have its own RAM (up to 128MB), but the integrated GPU can only do 2D tasks, not 3D as it's a basic GPU, much like the Intel's Extreeeeeeeeeme Graphics.

Would there also be a way to switch the GPU settings within Windows 98SE without altering the first boot GPU from PCI to AGP or vice versa, like a program, for example, or is that not possible?

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-04-23, 18:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can have multiple GPUs in Win98SE (I used 7800 GTX 256MB + GTX 780 Ti combo as well as single 7900 GX2 ;)). […]
Show full quote

I'm pretty sure you can have multiple GPUs in Win98SE (I used 7800 GTX 256MB + GTX 780 Ti combo as well as single 7900 GX2 😉).
However, to switch between them as videos outputs requires disabling one and enabling the other one (+ OS restart).
You can bypass above method if you use PCI and AGP/PCI-e cards at the same time (since in most MBs BIOS you can simply choose which port should be video output).

How did you get the 780Ti working in 98SE?

What did you do to get it to boot with a video card that has more than 512MB of RAM?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can have multiple GPUs in Win98SE (I used 7800 GTX 256MB + GTX 780 Ti combo as well as single 7900 GX2 ;)). […]
Show full quote

How did you get the 780Ti working in 98SE?

What did you do to get it to boot with a video card that has more than 512MB of RAM?

I didn't wrote I used GTX 780 Ti in Windows 98SE...
However, GTX 780 Ti was installed in PC while it was running Win 98 SE.

As for 512MB+ VRAM, GX2 is simply special in this case :

PCMark 02.png
Filename
PCMark 02.png
File size
249.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

157143230295.png

Reply 5 of 5, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

I'm planning on re-installing my Riva TNT2 M64 card (ASUS brand) AGP card for games that support it since the GeForce2 MX400 doesn't play nice with some of the older D3D games and install an EVGA branded GeForce 6200 PCI card for the T&L games, such as Command and Conquer: Generals, Joint Ops: Typhoon Rising, NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, Blackhawk Force Down, and so on.

I have a KVM switch box that I can use to switch the video signal around, however, I have no idea if that'll work or not. Should I just use the GeForce 6200 (AGP) and the VooDoo2 card, or use the GeForce2 MX400 with the VooDoo2 card?

If my assumption is correct, the only way to have multiple cards installed would be to have the same brand and model, correct, or is there a program that changes between cards for certain games?

You can use whatever (well, probably there will be exceptions) card combination in Windows 98 SE. I did that in the past, and still doing it in some builds now. Tried several different cards together (matrox, 3dfx and S3 PCI cards with ATI, 3Dfx and nvidia AGP cards) without a single failure (my cards are not so modern PCI and AGP cards, to say the truth, though)

Using a PCI and an AGP card combination will be easier since you can choose the primary card from your BIOS (AGP or PCI). It is easy to have one as primary and the other as secondary permanently, but interchanging between them will require a reboot + BIOS setup change. I also have no idea how Windows 98 will behave, it probably will require another additional boot just after recognizing the "new" card.

I would suggest a multiboot configration; one W9x partition with one card as primary, and a second W9x parition with the other card as primary. So you only need to boot once and change the primary card from BIOS setup and choose the appropriate Windows 98 to boot from your multiboot menu.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000