VOGONS

Ebay 7" VGA monitors

Topic actions

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ebay is flooded with cheap 1024x600 VGA/HDMI/composite monitors... Does anyone have experience with one of these?

There seem to be three different models in the $50-100 range that are sold under every brand imaginable. Here are the main suspects - this one with white buttons and some kind of mini-USB-like connector for the VGA:

mon1-1.jpg
Filename
mon1-1.jpg
File size
71.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
mon1-2.jpg
Filename
mon1-2.jpg
File size
65.91 KiB
Views
File license

This one, with a mini-DIN connector for its video inputs:

mon2.jpg
Filename
mon2.jpg
File size
221.13 KiB
Views
File license

...and this one, with standard size ports built-in:

mon3.jpg
Filename
mon3.jpg
File size
106.97 KiB
Views
File license

The same hardware that gets stuffed into these is also sold to as kits to the R.Pi community. If you go over $200 you get into stuff marketed to film crews & photographers that I'd bet anything use the same panels, but I'm interested in the cheap stuff.

I'm mainly wondering how they do as PC monitors. I don't care if they can't handle every insane VGA tweakmode imaginable, but 720x400x70Hz text mode is a must, and some reasonable tolerance of old VGA cards & non-standard refresh rates would be nice. Most of these support both PAL+NTSC and it's been my experience that anything with composite video has pretty robust VGA implementation, but who knows.

Also, what happens when you feed these 640x480 or similar? Do they have scaling options or do they just window it in the middle of the screen? On HDMI do they present themselves as "monitors" or "TVs"? I.e. will they offer the system their native res, or just "720p" with forced scaling & overscan city?

I'm leaning towards #3 for obvious reasons... I have an 800x480 one very similar to #2 that only has composite inputs; it does its job just fine. A VGA version would be super useful.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an 8" with similar spec and provenance I use for easily portable fixing stuff. It's an Eyoyo S801H with HDMI and VGA. If I get round to it tomorrow, I'll see what it does with the resolutions you mention.

Reply 2 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, let me know how it works. 😀 To be honest, as long as it handles text mode & 320x200 (i.e. 400 line modes) @ 70Hz I'd be happy, but a decently robust VGA implementation would be pretty sweet.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah I am interested in knowing if it works as well - a small display to help with testing/repair is a must!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, gotten around to it at last.

The monitor is an Eyoyo S801H with 1024x768 resolution (the S801H is also sold with 800x600). It has VGA, HDMI, composite and Ypbpr input support, but VGA is the main interest here. It claims only to support 800x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 input at 60Hz, but that's far from the whole story.

Firstly the panel is a TN pig, with remarkably clear and crisp image quality if you are directly in front of it, but with major deviation of hue and saturation as soon as there are any angles involved. But this isn't a screen for long hours working or enjoying films, so that doesn't really matter.

What does is the input. With HDMI it's what you would expect. With VGA, it can do quite a bit more. I've taken a few pictures to illustrate, but I couldn't get my damned camera to focus on the screen, so apoligies for the fuzzy pictures.

Firstly it handles DOS text modes fine, here's the POST of my Tyan Tsunami:
full.png
It does a better job at scaling and centering than my high-end Iiyama CRT, but takes its time to get there - the first few seconds at a resolution/refresh rate are visibly wobbly as the algorithm searches for optimal settings. It also takes a while to lock onto a signal when changing modes- so not ideal for the very first POST messages.

Then the all-important 720x400@70Hz:
full.png
Looks good enough to me 😀

Finally I booted into Windows 98 and played around with different resolutions and refresh rates.
full.png
This was interesting. Basically it accepted any resolution I could feed it, although anything over native (i.e. 1280x1024) looked awful. Interpolation at lower resolutions wasn't too bad. The interesting bit was refresh rates. It accepts input up to 75Hz. With 85Hz it gives an out-of-range error. Now I'd expect that its native frequency would be 60Hz and that there would be no visible difference above that. Wrong! Something looked different at 70 and particularly 75Hz. I used the display of my camera as a poor man's stroboscope and it helped show clear differences in displayed refresh rate. This screen actually goes up to 75Hz output!

All in all, it does the job I bought it for: a tiny but usable screen for installation, troubleshooting etc. I already knew that, but now I can also say it's great under DOS in both text and graphics modes, and that if you do want to stare at it for hours, you can get it to give you 75Hz. Not bad for a few EUR from AliExpress 😉

Reply 7 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome dude, thanks for looking into it! Definitely something I'd have a ton of use for. I might grab the Eyoyo 1024x600 panel in that case (which looks a lot like that one, just 168 pixels shorter. 😜) Although I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of them out there are using the same panels & driver/scaler circuitry.

Reply 9 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

>$50-100 for that
>cheap

No. go to craigslist, can get used 22"+ 1680x1050/1080p lcds for $25. plenty of 1280x1024 & 1024x768 lcds as well.

I don't want a 22"+ 1680x1050 LCD. I want something small, on a little stand, that I can chuck in a bag with my DJ gear or sit on a narrow shelf, which can display both VGA & composite video. In other words, absolutely nothing about what you said even slightly matches my use case, but you seem awfully eager to tell other people what to do.

Reply 10 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Awesome dude, thanks for looking into it! Definitely something I'd have a ton of use for. I might grab the Eyoyo 1024x600 panel in that case (which looks a lot like that one, just 168 pixels shorter. 😜) Although I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of them out there are using the same panels & driver/scaler circuitry.

Possibly, but it might be totally different...

This one is still available with free shipping to US as well on Aliexpress, so I'd recommend that over an untested one, particularly as your use case wants 4:3 and the other one is 16:9...

Reply 11 of 20, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
awgamer wrote:

>$50-100 for that
>cheap

No. go to craigslist, can get used 22"+ 1680x1050/1080p lcds for $25. plenty of 1280x1024 & 1024x768 lcds as well.

I don't want a 22"+ 1680x1050 LCD. I want something small, on a little stand, that I can chuck in a bag with my DJ gear or sit on a narrow shelf, which can display both VGA & composite video. In other words, absolutely nothing about what you said even slightly matches my use case, but you seem awfully eager to tell other people what to do.

and absolutely nothing you posted until now included a use case. I'm awfully eager to point out how that's not cheap, or maybe it's as you say and I'm a dictator telling my subjects to get a good deal. hmm.

Reply 12 of 20, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

and absolutely nothing you posted until now included a use case. I'm awfully eager to point out how that's not cheap, or maybe it's as you say and I'm a dictator telling my subjects to get a good deal. hmm.

The OP was clear, but you took the opportunity to show us your “smarts” anyway. You’ve also assumed that he has access to craigslist but hot tip, there are places in the world that don’t 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

The OP was clear, but you took the opportunity to show us your “smarts” anyway. You’ve also assumed that he has access to craigslist but hot tip, there are places in the world that don’t 😀

Or where Craigslist is a barren wasteland.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 20, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
awgamer wrote:

Yes, clearly my purpose was to show how smart I am, not taking issue with "cheap."

Reply 15 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to grab the Eyoyo S801H off AliX, it worked out to about ten bucks more than what the 1024x600 version was going for on Ebay but I think I'll appreciate the extra vertical room (especially for Ableton Live use.) To be honest, I forgot that size even existed when I started the thread. 😜

I also grabbed a 5.6", 800x480 version, in kit form (panel + PCB) off Ebay, since I had a coupon that was about to expire. I hope the VGA performance is similar to the S801H but I won't be that disappointed if it's not. I have a specific use in mind for this and it's probably a better fit than trying to make a 7" panel do dual-duty. I'll give it my own review when it gets here.

awgamer wrote:

absolutely nothing you posted until now included a use case. I'm awfully eager to point out how that's not cheap, or maybe it's as you say and I'm a dictator telling my subjects to get a good deal. hmm.

Yeesh dude, maybe my post came off as harsher than intended, but what you suggested had literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I was looking for a comparison of a specific class of hardware that's available from online sellers, not "how do I get the cheapest monitor??" I do have a local Craigslist and am fully aware of how to get cheap full-size displays off it, but that's not what this thread is about.

In the end, it's a free forum & you can post what you want, but starting a reply with "No." and then explaining how you think the OP is Doing It Wrong, without even reading the original post, isn't going to enamour anyone to what you have to say.

Reply 17 of 20, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

720x400@70Hz is standard DOS text mode, which is why it's so important. Many BIOSes use the mode for the setup, and on most video cards, the 320x200 video mode that so many games run in is scanline-doubled and shown in the same 720x400@70Hz mode. It's basically the mode you spend 90% of your time in on a retro PC!

Reply 18 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
XCVG wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are you using to test 720x400@70Hz? I have a few devices I want to try at this resolution to see if they work.

I used Battle Isle, as it was the first DOS game I found that would run on the testPC without sound cards (the rest are all configged for SBPro 2.0 and/or General Midi and didn't want to run with no sound devices). But any (non-VESA) DOS VGA game would do the trick 😉

Actually it's not 720x400@70Hz, but 640x400@70Hz (upscaled from 320x200). See this post for a more detailed explanation:

So if you are playing a DOS video game which uses IBM mode 13h (320x200x256 colors), then it will display with a vertical refresh rate of ~69.9Hz, which your LCD monitor may 'see' as 720x400 @70Hz (dot clock 28.322MHz) because it is 'broken'. The LCD monitor should 'see' the video input as 640x400 @70Hz (dot clock 25.125MHz) but it may be that LCD monitor manufacturers would display VGA text modes 03h/07h and graphics mode 13h identically by hardware scaling.

Reply 19 of 20, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. Is this a standard thing, that 320x200 displayed as 640x400@70Hz, different to text mode at 720x400@70Hz? Some of my old CRTs used to struggle with 640x400 but 720x400 (text) and 320x200 were always fine, so I figured they must be using the same timing on the analogue output.