VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an x1650 pro in a P4 PC. When Windows loads up, I can hear the HDD shutting off and then making a clunking noise as it turns back on like it does when the PC first turns on. This will happen a couple of times and then the screen goes black as I assume the HDD can't keep up with the data requests from Windows. Also, when Windows loads up the splash screen changes to my desktop with the screen updating vertically, downwards over the course of a second (almost as if there are no drivers). This is using CCC 8.8 from Guru3D archive and the "latest" XP driver available from AMD's website. I'm using Windows XP. My Nvidia card works fine.

Very strange - I've not had a GPU do this before. Could it be something to do with the floppy/auxillary power cable taking too much electricity away from the HDD?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 5, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What power supply are you using? The last time I had a hard drive shutting itself off inappropriately, the problem turned out to be my Apevia 500W power supply, the problem went away once I replaced it with a 450W Antec power supply (this was before I was aware of their capacitors). Maybe your power supply is cheaply made, has insufficient +5V/+12V rail ratings, or is failing.

Exactly what model is your nVidia card? chances are the nVidia card you've been using is a lower-end model compared to your ATI Radeon X1650 Pro.

Reply 2 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prime suspects are PSU and motherboard caps.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 3 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The resetting hard drive could be bad power, but it could also be a dying hard drive. However, dying hard drive and bad power can be closely related (the latter can cause the former).
The slow video issue sounds like a driver issue or maybe a card fault. Does the control panel imply that the drivers are working properly, or does it just refer to your card as a generic VGA device?

I don't know much about ATI, but the slow graphics might be an intentional underclock due to the driver thinking that the card doesn't have enough power. nVidia drivers will do this on some cards if the aux power isn't plugged in.

If you have a multimeter I'd try probing the 5V and 12V (I think 12V is probably the only one that's really used) on that aux connector (but if you aren't used to doing this then be careful). Maybe the connector is bad or voltage is low enough to trigger this behavior.
You could also just measure at an unused molex connector instead, which is a lot easier. Preferably one that's on the same set of cables. Even though it's not the point that's plugged into the card, it should give you basically the same readings. Ideally you'd want to watch the voltage(s) under some load, perhaps as the system is booting up.

For a single common cause of both symptoms it sounds like a bad power supply.

Reply 4 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:
The resetting hard drive could be bad power, but it could also be a dying hard drive. However, dying hard drive and bad power c […]
Show full quote

The resetting hard drive could be bad power, but it could also be a dying hard drive. However, dying hard drive and bad power can be closely related (the latter can cause the former).
The slow video issue sounds like a driver issue or maybe a card fault. Does the control panel imply that the drivers are working properly, or does it just refer to your card as a generic VGA device?

I don't know much about ATI, but the slow graphics might be an intentional underclock due to the driver thinking that the card doesn't have enough power. nVidia drivers will do this on some cards if the aux power isn't plugged in.

If you have a multimeter I'd try probing the 5V and 12V (I think 12V is probably the only one that's really used) on that aux connector (but if you aren't used to doing this then be careful). Maybe the connector is bad or voltage is low enough to trigger this behavior.
You could also just measure at an unused molex connector instead, which is a lot easier. Preferably one that's on the same set of cables. Even though it's not the point that's plugged into the card, it should give you basically the same readings. Ideally you'd want to watch the voltage(s) under some load, perhaps as the system is booting up.

For a single common cause of both symptoms it sounds like a bad power supply.

Good suggestions.

Any card in a slot has 3.3, 5 & 12 volts available to it.
(Also -12v but I don't remember if all slots have it. And for ISA -5v.)
Which voltages are actually utilized by a card is up to the card's designer.
It's best to check all the rails including each 12v rail individually if that's applicable to the PSU.

Very rare but I've seen a few cases where bad caps on a mobo corrupted HDD data.
The bad caps were in Vtt (or similar) to the HDD controller and thus data signals passing through it were being scrambled.
(Vtt has to do with the signaling voltage. Each IC can have it's own or they can be shared. Design dependent.)

I've also seen the HDD cycling thing caused by bad power (also rare) but there are other possible causes.
Same with the video. Other possible causes.

With both the HDD cycling and video issues at the same time, bad power is most likely.
The thing to do is find out what is making which power bad.

Waiting for the OPs' visual inspection results.
Checking the DC voltages would certainly help.

Should note however that good DC voltages are not conclusive as to the integrity of the power.
The DC can be well in spec and the ripple way out of spec at the same time.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-05-01, 20:04. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 5, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most definitely sounds like a PSU issue.

Change to a different unit or if you've time, change the caps!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks