VOGONS

First post, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm building a Windows 98/DOS machine for a friend and I want to run a more powerful PCI video card than the one the machine came with, but any other card I try just gives a black screen. (If the PC boots at all)

As far as I can tell, the MB has the latest BIOS, and I don't see any settings in there that appear relevant to the video card.

I also don't know much about IRQs and things like that, so maybe I'm just missing something?

The card it came with is pretty generic, so I don't know which numbers identify it.

Ideally I'd like to run a Nvidia GeForce 6200, assuming the board can handle it at all?

Reply 1 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GeForce 6200 card only works on motherboards that have AGP and chipsets that supports AGP 1x/2x only (like a Socket 7 motherboard with a VIA or ALi chipset) or PCs that have the crappy GPU (Intel Extreeeeeeme Graphics) without AGP on-board.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Super Muncher,

A Geforce 6200 is about a decade newer than that board. To give you an idea, it has almost double the clock speed and double the memory than the entire board.

You should try something a little bit more contemporary. Post a picture of the card if you'd like help identifying it. Something pre-GeForce is much more appropriate and compatible with a Motherboard that tops out at 200MHz. You can find a lot of information here for contemporary cards. The highest I'd personally go would be a Riva TNT2 M64 PCI, which are available on eBay for approximately $20. Something like an ATi Rage or S3 Virge GX would be pretty solid as well.

Which other cards have you tried?

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 11, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:

Which other cards have you tried?

Just the Nvidia one and an ATI 9200. (It's Diamond-branded and DOES have a PCI interface)

Reply 4 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GeForce 6200 = PCI, AGP 8×, PCIe ×16
GeForce 6200A = AGP 8×
GeForce 6200LE = AGP 8×, PCIe ×16
GeForce 6200TC = PCIe ×16

May not work on the OS drivers but I would expect them to at least show the BIOS screen.
The BIOS level drivers did not change much between 1999 and 2005.

An incompatible card should generate beep codes.
If the system is not booting at all I would look for a hardware problem.
Bad caps, bad PSU or something like that.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-05-04, 14:50. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 11, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

The later cards seems to be causing the problem, but they work perfectly in my Core 2 Duo computer.

When I tried the original card in the C2D system it gave me a black screen. 😒

Reply 6 of 11, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sounds like the same issue covered in this recent thread: Trying to get newish PCI Graphics cards working on pre AGP motherboards

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 7 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Flare wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

The later cards seems to be causing the problem, but they work perfectly in my Core 2 Duo computer.

When I tried the original card in the C2D system it gave me a black screen. 😒

I don't have any answers but I'm curious to know what the exact cause is.

What motherboard? Not the C2D, the other one.

The card that does not work in the C2D does work in the old board?

And beep codes?

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 8 of 11, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakemono wrote:

sounds like the same issue covered in this recent thread: Trying to get newish PCI Graphics cards working on pre AGP motherboards

Yeah, the age gap could definitely explain it...

Reply 9 of 11, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

I don't have any answers but I'm curious to know what the exact cause is.

What motherboard? Not the C2D, the other one.

Intel 82430IB

PCBONEZ wrote:

The card that does not work in the C2D does work in the old board?

And beep codes?

No clue, but its main chip is a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5440-J-QC-B

The machines are silent unless the cards are compatible.

Reply 10 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mobo brand is not Intel. It's "Full Yes". (Which cracks me up.)
Some places show it as just "Full" or just "Yes".
Jumper settings if you don't have them. = http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/fullyes/82430IB.html

I think the problem is one of two things (or both).

You are trying to use cards with 3.3v signaling cards on a board that can only handle 5v signaling.
Slot keying should prevent that problem. That isn't always implemented correctly though.

The video cards have so much RAM the system can't address it and the system RAM too.

---
Those are just guesses I don't have time for much research today.

Reply 11 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if it could be an issue with the Video BIOS shadow. Specifically, that the BIOS is too large to implement. Just a WAG, though. It could simply be an inability to address the full Video memory. It has numbers that were not in the realm of possibility at the time.

The CL-GD5440 is a Cirrus Logic chip that is suitable for a 486 or early Pentium. It is quite compatible with almost everything that can be thrown at it, so if you're using mostly 2D games, this is an ideal card. It can also be paired with a Voodoo for enhanced 3D.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build