VOGONS

Reply 21 of 22, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No dice again. When I first turned it on the colors were as they should be but it was off center horizontally, after about 30 seconds it got centered and the half bright colors started to fade from gray to very dark red which is the state it was in the last time I got it from this guy. I then started to smell a capacitor so I turned it off. This guy isnt fixing the problem and he doesn't have the right gear to test out the monitor yet he also refuses help from me in the form of telling him about the modes it works in. I guess I'm just going to have to repair this myself someday...for now its worthless.

Reply 22 of 22, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to hear this news Shagittarius. Is the repairman replacing the two gold rectangular looking RIFA caps on the power supply? It is my understanding these two caps are what smoke and blow up. I would just do a shotgun recap on all remaining electrolyics and go from there measuring voltages on the certain test points. Also the TDA2653A is a common failure and I changed mine out along with all the caps before even powering it up for the first time.