VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Besides running my 286 / VGA rig with an LCD screen with VGA input, I also want to grab the screen output using a pretty no name USB 3.0 capture device, that has HDMI input. It works fine with a cheapo HDMI to VGA converter that I picked up for a few bucks on Amazon.
However the cheapo converter cuts off some scanlines in the lower res modes, such as the 720x400 text mode and mode 13 games.
I am thinking on buying the OSSC 1.6 instead to get a proper solution. However I am wondering: is it the right solution? Does the OSSC support all or most VGA modes properly? Are things like overscan or picture position configurable?
What would other options be?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After a bit more research I found one alternative:

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/ … rter~VGA2HDPRO2

From what I gather the advantage and at the same time disadvantage with the ossc is that it works on scanlines and hence will not convert framerates and such.
Since I want to capture almost exclusively DOS based games like adventures, strategy and text mode stuff, I am not sure I meed the low latency the ossc offers.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 3, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More info on the OSSC here: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC

I look at it as a tool. Its not plug-n-play, but its VERY tweakable vs. the consumer upscalers and ADCs. Its basically a ADC chip like whats found in your monitor, but you have access to almost all the register settings controlling image capture and quality. It also upscales if needed (via a FPGA) and outputs DVI or HDMI video. It also has a basic post processor that can mask overscan and add scanlines to the output.

Note: I have used the OSSC as a straight analog-to-digital passthru device for PCs before and it generally works well. It will not do framerate conversion, the video is untouched on the digital side BUT your capture device needs to tolerate non-standard (generally non-VESA) resolutions if your source isn't standard.

Reply 3 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the good info! It is all pointing more and more towards the ossc.

YouTube and Bonus