Graphic card memory speeds

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cbb wrote:
Agreed but really cant get the arythmethics idea... 100Mhz => 10ns, 133MHz => 7ns ok, no problem 83MHz => 35ns, 33MHz => […]
Show full quote
386_junkie wrote:
You still are struggling to do basic math!? I thought I had taught you this over in another thread... frequency (MHz) = 1 / wave […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

30-40ns memory is an overkill though, because it's nearly impossible to overclock this cards up to ~80mhz.

You still are struggling to do basic math!? I thought I had taught you this over in another thread... frequency (MHz) = 1 / wavelength (ns).

Please learn...

80MHz = 1/80MHz = 12.5 nano seconds

40MHz = 1/40MHz = 25 nano seconds

33MHz = 1/33MHz = 30 nano seconds

20MHz = 1/20MHz = 50 nano seconds

How many times does 12.5 go into 40?

or how about 25 into 40?

or 30 into 40?

... better yet, how many 40's, go into 40?

Agreed but really cant get the arythmethics idea...
100Mhz => 10ns, 133MHz => 7ns ok, no problem
83MHz => 35ns, 33MHz => 70ns these values do not connect to previous line.
May be making conversion I have to take into account memory organisation (SDRAM/EDO/FPM)? Or it depends on some another things?
Just wanna put the things in order

Of course you have to, "great" math of 386_Junkie is for SDRAM convention only.

Reply 21 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Better access time also doesn't equal better timings 100% of the time. And FPM/EDO memory is an unexplored rabbit hole in that regard.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23 of 24, by Montgomery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry for being a bit off topic but I have some memory related problems with my 3Dfx Voodoo Rush (Macronix) card. It is the one with the framebuffer memory expendable by 4 sockets in the upper left corner, which is now populated with similar chips to the ones at the board itself (256k x 16, 35ns). The Video BIOS (at startup) however only reports 2MB frame buffer and 2MB texture memory as does the Macronix Win95 driver. The card works with or without the additional chips always reporting the mentioned values. Do you have experience or any ideas what might be a problem? BIOS, memory chips or the card itself? I would greatly appreciate any help! This is the card anyway 😀

Rush.JPG
Filename
Rush.JPG
File size
243.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have witnessed such symptoms on other graphic cards and wish I an answer for you. Hopefully somebody else has some insight.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.