l33t

Hello, I am NEW to gaming.
Some cards I have owned
Nvidia Banshee
Riva TNT
Nvidia graphics cards
Matrox millennium
Matrox G400/450 dual head

I want to how to setup Voodoo card with What other card ?
I have an Nvidia fx5500 PCI I can use ?
Or should I use an AGP card ?
Or some other card ?
Which is bests and Which Voodoo card to buy?

The Voodoo-5 is to expensive so I am looking for a card that is fairly available and not to expensive.

Reply 1 of 34, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want compatibility with DOS Glide titles then either Voodoo1 or Voodoo2. If you don't care about that and stick to Windows titles then Voodoo3 is a good choice and has no need for 2D card. AGP or PCI doesn't particularly matter, whichever works for your build.

Also... Nvidia Banshee?! There was Voodoo Banshee though.

Reply 3 of 34, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really depends on the games that you want to play. There is not a whole lot of difference between different Voodoos in terms of features/capabilities — it's really more about performance. So it simply boils down to what year were your favourite games released.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 34, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Which version of Voodoo is the Voodoo Banshee ?

Banshee is a cut-down version of Voodoo2, missing second TMU but having a relatively good 2D so it didn't need a separate card.

Reply 6 of 34, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tree Wyrm wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Banshee is a cut-down version of Voodoo2, missing second TMU but having a relatively good 2D so it didn't need a separate card.

Banshee is also sometimes faster than voodoo 2

Reply 7 of 34, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree V3 is a great first 3dfx video card. Easy to use (single card), good speed and reliable. Goods idea to have a fan nearby as they run warm.

I'd recommend a PCI version if you can get one as it is more flexible.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 8 of 34, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As others have already mentioned: Voodoo 3 3000. It is the cheapest, easiest, and simplest option.

Get the AGP version. It performs slightly better than the PCI version and is much less expensive.

Reply 9 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think pretty much any Voodoo except the Rush is a good one to buy. Does anyone love the Rush?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 34, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

As others have already mentioned: Voodoo 3 3000. It is the cheapest, easiest, and simplest option.

Get the AGP version. It performs slightly better than the PCI version and is much less expensive.

I thought the AGP Voodoo 3s had no advantages over their PCI counterparts due to not using any AGP exclusive features. 😕

Reply 11 of 34, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

I thought the AGP Voodoo 3s had no advantages over their PCI counterparts due to not using any AGP exclusive features. 😕

No special AGP features, but the AGP port still runs twice as fast as a regular 33MHz PCI bus. They take advantage of that. However bus throughput is rarely the bottleneck, so the difference isn't large, even on a Voodoo5, and is negligible on a Voodoo3.

Reply 12 of 34, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

No special AGP features, but the AGP port still runs twice as fast as a regular 33MHz PCI bus. They take advantage of that. However bus throughput is rarely the bottleneck, so the difference isn't large, even on a Voodoo5, and is negligible on a Voodoo3.

Right, I almost forgot about that. Still, there's nothing wrong with an AGP Voodoo 3, it's just that the PCI models offer versatility over the AGP counterparts due to the AGP model only being 3.3V compatible and the fact that AGP was still not that common back then.

Reply 13 of 34, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love my V3 PCI, glad it ended up not being the AGP variant.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 14 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tree Wyrm wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Banshee is a cut-down version of Voodoo2.

It's more of a VGA'd souped up version of the original Voodoo Graphics, done right... Most of V2's additional registers are not found in the Banshee or the rest of the Voodoo lineup.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 34, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Tree Wyrm wrote:

It's more of a VGA'd souped up version of the original Voodoo Graphics, done right... Most of V2's additional registers are not found in the Banshee or the rest of the Voodoo lineup.

Interesting. I didn't know this. Will a Banshee work with static-link DOS games like Archimedean Dynasty and EF2000?

Reply 16 of 34, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:
leileilol wrote:
Tree Wyrm wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know this. Will a Banshee work with static-link DOS games like Archimedean Dynasty and EF2000?

If it works on the voodoo 2 it works on the banshee. Fun fact a banshee is clocked higher so in single texturing games where the Voodoo 2's extra TMU on its one pipeline means nothing the banshee will outscore a Voodoo 2.

Banshee is more like Voodoo 3 light

Reply 17 of 34, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I much prefer a Banshee or Voodoo 3 to using the Voodoo 2. I just can't be bothered with the extra drivers and diminished VGA signal (or using a KVM) and limited resolution that using a Voodoo 2 entails

Performance wise a Banshee is roughly as fast as a single Voodoo 2 and a Voodoo 3 is about as fast as Voodoo 2 SLI

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 18 of 34, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oohms wrote:

Performance wise a Banshee is roughly as fast as a single Voodoo 2 and a Voodoo 3 is about as fast as Voodoo 2 SLI

But not as cool! 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 34, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:
oohms wrote:

But not as cool! 🤣

Yes it is, that's why banshee and 3 shipped with heatsinks 😜