VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From Wikipedia's website regarding the 3D Rage II:

The chip also had driver support for Microsoft Direct3D and Reality Lab, QuickDraw 3D Rave, Criterion RenderWare, and Argonaut BRender. OpenGL drivers are available for the professional 3D and CAD community and Heidi drivers are available for AutoCAD users.

I've looked high and low and I can't find any of these other drivers, particularly OpenGl and Heidi for AutoCad. Does anyone know where to find either of these drivers? Normally I would expect them to be bundled in the main driver package but the wording above suggests that opengl and heidi are separate. I know that currently GLQuake won't run on my 3D Rage II, even though I get the impression it should be possible in theory. Also the demo of wipeout I downloaded runs like balls on this card even though I've seen youtube videos of it running smoothly. Is there a particular driver version that ought to be used with this card?

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 2 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember having a Rage that came with miniGL drivers, but nothing about full OpenGL drivers.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 15, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rage Quit... 🤣

I tried the drivers F2bnp suggested and they install, although the computer now thinks I have a Rage128. Doesn't seem to have broken anything - all programs that worked before, still work. GLQ loads up after a long time at a framerate of probably 0.01 FPS but it does look like OpenGL rendering. I don't think this is the card working mind you - merely software emulation at work.

Wipeout on 320x200 is still barely playable in any sense of the word and that's using D3D so maybe this card just sucks that much and the videos I was looking at were of a slightly better architecture being misrepresented as a 3D Rage.

What's the lowest OpenGL 1.0 game or D3D5 game anyone can think of that I could test this card with? If this card is marketed as having 3D acceleration, something ought to work well on it, otherwise how could ATI even get away with calling it that? I still feel like it's not working as it should.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 7 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

I'd think they likely tried to bury them, the Rage II was a 3d decelerator

Might you perhaps try out some of the competition at the bottom of the barrel? I'd suggest Trident and SIS as two strong candidates for bringing up the back of the pack.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

I think both the original Rage and Rage II are actually faster than an S3 Virge, so there's that 🤣

yea but so is a fast 486 doing software rendering 🤣 😁

Reply 12 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my own selective tests, I was pretty disappointed with 3D acceleration on a Rage for anything below a Rage 128 VR.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 13 of 15, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

The Race IIc drivers from here seem to include OpenGL support. Putas was able to run Quake and such, so maybe you can ask him for more.

I use wrappers for cards without proper OpenGL support.

Reply 15 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Heidi drivers you are after are in the NT4 driver package. I don't think they were ever made available for 9x.
I am also pretty sure that OpenGL support only made it to the miniGL stages. I am of course talking about the original Rage II, and not the Rage IIC which came out later, and as far as I can tell is a different animal more similar to the Rage Pro. I was also somewhat certain the miniGL driver was only available in NT, but maybe it did have a 9x release as well?
ATi really pissed off a lot of people with the Rage II regarding OpenGL support. They promised, but never delivered, instead directing people to purchase their crappy new Rage Pro cards (I bought one, and promptly returned it). As far as I know, Rage II was only decent at 3D when using its own proprietary API. I think Mechwarrior II and maybe Tomb Raider supported it. I believe VOGONS has a thread somewhere that lists most of the games that support it.

I bought a Rage II card in 1997 when it was new. I bought it mainly for its excellent 2D capabilities, and didn't even really understand what the 3D hype was all about, because I thought software rendering was good enough. In my opinion, this is the card that started ATi's reputation for having bad driver support.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium