VOGONS

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is something I've been experimenting with lately. Thought I'd share some results and how they were obtained:

http://int10h.org/blog/2018/06/taking-decent- … -crt-tv-screen/

Any thoughts, impressions, further tips or improvements?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1 of 6, by powershoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been making poor attempts with photographing a flat Toshiba CRT television lately. Learning some tips and tricks about CRT photography from the linked blog post are helpful for a beginner like me. Not much to say other than thank you for the useful knowledge.

Reply 2 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Flat-screen CRTs should give you an easier time- you can shoot from much closer up without getting exaggerated geometry distortion.

Reply 3 of 6, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to be big into taking pictures of my PVM's a while ago. I come away with some great results. I used a canon 1000d woth a 50mm 1.8 lens on a tripod. I remember having to mess with the shutter speed to combat the screen flicker.

Here are a couple of shots i managed to capture

f8yHHjTl.jpg

FKYAEy7l.jpg

yFfx4Kdl.jpg

Reply 4 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Looks good!
My TV won't ever look half as nice as a PVM, of course, but I'm still wondering if I can do something about the convergence issues visible in my own photos... and about bright details losing their sharpness around the middle of the screen.

Reply 5 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

Flat-screen CRTs should give you an easier time- you can shoot from much closer up without getting exaggerated geometry distortion.

Wouldn't it be better to go far away and use a tele lense? Then the distortion should be minimal...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what I did for those photos in the linked post - more or less (only 1m away), the distortion is almost negligible; I do mention that in the post itself. But techniques that depends on close-up such as Bancho's photos wouldn't be possible; not a big deal in my case but flat-screen does give you more flexibility.