VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I need to put a video card in my 486 Pc thats using a AM5x86 P75 running at 133MHz for using in Dos 6.21, my motherboard has ISA and PCI I have an ISA Cirus Logic card and I like it because the blacks are good and a deep black and not a light grey like some cards I have tried in the past but I think they were AGP cards in another Pc, I have tried an S3Trio64 and it is good too but what does everyone here have to say, I dont have the cash to get a voodoo but please do list them if you like them and I will put it in my to get list. Also I read in another post something about "VESA 2.0 compatibility and good support tools (e.g. refresh rate setter utilities for VESA modes under DOS). You won't like 640x480 at 60 Hz, it's just not healthy" - what is this about? Is it a tool in Dos to set resolution and refresh rate?

Reply 1 of 11, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm guessing you will want to look at this thread (VESA Fix Utility Listing (for old video cards)), but it seem like the most popular utility supports nearly every vintage graphics chipset.

Since you have already ruled out 3dfx due to price, I would take a look at this thread (3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)) which shows what games can be patched to support 3d acceleration from other vintage graphics cards.

Also I like to read this site (http://vintage3d.org/index.php) which compares many of the early 3d accelerators.

S3 Virge seems to dominate the cheap pci videocard market, which doesn't make it a bad choice given how universally supported it is. If I were in your shoes I might choose something more unique - like SIS 6326.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

S3 Trio64 is a perfect fit. Stay away from the S3 Virge if you already own a Trio64. The Virge uses the same 2d core, but has brightness issues.

Make sure you load S3VBE20 in your autoexec.bat to get full VESA 2.0 support.

Reply 6 of 11, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

S3 Trio64 is a perfect fit. Stay away from the S3 Virge if you already own a Trio64. The Virge uses the same 2d core, but has brightness issues.

The brightness issues occur mainly on S3 Virge (and Trio64V+/V2) cards from generic/no-name manufacturers, Virge/Trio cards from known name brand manufacturers (e.g. STB, Diamond, Number Nine) are fine. Of course, if S3D acceleration is of little to no importance to you, there's probably no point in going for a Virge over a Trio.

Should I be guilty for having to replace a dead S3 Trio64V2/DX with a name-brand S3 Virge card? I would've gotten a Trio64 of some sort but they're stupidly expensive on eBay right now and IDK if the Trio64V+ will work with Windows NT 3.51. 😒

Reply 7 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own five S3 Virge cards, all from different brands, and they all have the brightness issue (even the high-quality STB Virge/VX). I think that's by design and it occurs on modern flat-screen displays only. CRTs are not affected due to their analogue nature - but who is using those these days..?

Also, the picture is not as clear as with a Trio32/64, which is caused by interferences from the additional 3d part of the Virge chip. That doesn't mean the Virge is any bad, it's still a very good choice. But if S3d is of no importance and you can use a Trio64 instead, I would always opt for the Trio64.

Reply 10 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

This is my goto for dos video cards
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS

I have one of those Macronix MX68200FC cards and can say they are not only very, very compatible but also very fast.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 11, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

I own five S3 Virge cards, all from different brands, and they all have the brightness issue (even the high-quality STB Virge/VX). I think that's by design and it occurs on modern flat-screen displays only. CRTs are not affected due to their analogue nature - but who is using those these days..?

Also, the picture is not as clear as with a Trio32/64, which is caused by interferences from the additional 3d part of the Virge chip. That doesn't mean the Virge is any bad, it's still a very good choice. But if S3d is of no importance and you can use a Trio64 instead, I would always opt for the Trio64.

My Diamand Multimedia S3 Virge-DX card didn't have brightness problems on my LCD screens.

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/item … pro-s3-virge-dx

However, I own a couple of cheap generic S3 Trio3D AGP cards that do exhibit the brightness problem. They look pretty horrible, and will only be used to remind myself that they are horrible 😀