VOGONS

First post, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The speed is just insane....I'm playing on a Toshiba Satellite 2505 CDS specs are:

Intel Pentium 233Mhz (1.8v/2.5v) w/MMX
Ram: 96MB
HDD: 75GB

The game runs SUPER fast, and the sound is a garbled mess (due to the horrendous speed). This is all run from MS-DOS in Windows 98 SE.

Thanks in advance for any help! You guys ROCK!

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With those specs you should be able to lug Dosbox onto there and play it that way if you can't throttle the CPU low enough.

Yes, Dosbox on a P55C is logical. This is not a joke.

See also this ye old useful 2002 thread because this issue is one of the reasons that got babby vogons formed

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

With those specs you should be able to lug Dosbox onto there and play it that way if you can't throttle the CPU low enough.

Yes, Dosbox on a P55C is logical. This is not a joke.

See also this ye old useful 2002 thread because this issue is one of the reasons that got babby vogons formed

How cool! I didn't even think about that as an option....emulating DOS on a system that has DOS. Ingenious! Is there any option to throttle the CPU with MS-DOS? Or is Dosbox my only option?

Thanks for your response, it's more appreciated than you know.

Reply 4 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure how the PMMX mobile chips work vis a vis the TR12 registers, but desktop PMMX CPUs are very good for running DOS games that are speed sensitive and meant for the 386 era or later.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrCrono666 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

How cool! I didn't even think about that as an option....emulating DOS on a system that has DOS. Ingenious! Is there any option to throttle the CPU with MS-DOS? Or is Dosbox my only option.

MrCrono666, see the other thread leilei linked in answer to your question. The phrase you're looking for is "slowdown utility".

leilei, thanks for the love as always *highfive*

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a graph of what SETMUL can do to slow down a Pentium MMX. Keep in mind that a laptop will be somewhat less flexible due to fixed multiplier/FSB settings.

In the case of this CPU, I was able to achieve performance equivalent to an underclocked 386DX. I expect your laptop will be a little bit faster due to a higher clock -- perhaps at the level of a 386DX33.

file.php?id=34186&t=1

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder