VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Voodoo Banshee AGP from Gigabyte (GA-630) that I will use in a slot 1 @ 500MHz using Dos 6.2 but does it need any drivers or settings in Autoexec.bat? I got the card with a CD with drivers for Win95/98 and I will later use this card with Win98se so it might install a driver for dos in windows but I dont know does someone know if this is true?

Reply 3 of 8, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, you need the GLIDE2X.OVL file for 3Dfx Glide in DOS mode (the .OVL file is the DOS 'driver'). You can get it from any Banshee driver on the internet. When you install the drivers under Windows 98 the GLIDE2X.OVL file is automatically placed in your system directory (or Windows directory, not sure). Because the PATH variable points to this directory, you are good to go. Games look in their own directory for this file, then they check directories stated in the PATH variable in your autoexec.bat.

For DOS without Windows just download a driver for the Banshee, extract it and copy glide2x.ovl to a diskette and put the file in your C:\DOS directory, you don't need anything else.

Reply 4 of 8, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just be prepared to try different versions (aka drivers) of the GLIDE2X.DLL to find what one works for you.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 5 of 8, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In fact, I really can't make my banshee works.
I am trying with GTA but nothing to do. After loading the main menù, I enter in the game and while it load, returns to dos with "cannot load .dll file".
So i decided to put the glide2x.ovl in the GTA directory and now it simply doesn't return in DOS but the screen remain BLACK.

Please, please, can anyone that succeed tell me how can I make it work?

i have a Banshee 3DBlaster PCI. CT 6760.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 6 of 8, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, tonite is my night I think.

I downloaded 3d blaster Voodoo Banshee driver, took the .ovl file and put in the GTA root directory and in the SET directory in my DOS system (C:\dos) and finally IT WORK!!!

Smooth in 800x600x16, OMG I am in heaven!

Before with my AMD K6-2+ 450MHZ I was playable on 640x480 , and without that FRAMERATE!

So, if I have found the right .ovl file, can I think that this file works on other games?

Or I have absolutely to PATCH them ?

Thanks a lot

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 7 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
biessea wrote on 2020-03-25, 22:34:
Hey, tonite is my night I think. […]
Show full quote

I downloaded 3d blaster Voodoo Banshee driver, took the .ovl file and put in the GTA root directory and in the SET directory in my DOS system (C:\dos) and finally IT WORK!!!

Before with my AMD K6-2+ 450MHZ I was playable on 640x480 , and without that FRAMERATE!

So, if I have found the right .ovl file, can I think that this file works on other games?

Thanks a lot

Did you have much luck running the Banshee in DOS with other games? I am considering putting a Banshee is a DOS pc now, but not sure how it will work.

Reply 8 of 8, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-07, 00:38:
biessea wrote on 2020-03-25, 22:34:
Hey, tonite is my night I think. […]
Show full quote

Thanks a lot

Did you have much luck running the Banshee in DOS with other games? I am considering putting a Banshee is a DOS pc now, but not sure how it will work.

Yes, I had.

Various games running ok in DOS environment with this glide2x.ovl I found, I didn't need to change it. Only patch the game or use the game in 3dfx mode if there was.

Wow, this card rules!

Love beer, too.