VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the below Data Expert MPG3365P card with an S3 Trio64V+ chipset and onboard Scenic/MX2 MPEG decoder installed in my K6-2 system.

Data_Expert_MPG3365_P_Trio64_V_Scenic_MX2_2_MB.jpg

The card is detected correctly as an S3 Trio32/64 (765) (driver by Microsoft) by Windows 98SE and the driver gets installed. The Scenic MX2 onboard does not get detected and nothing show sup on Device Manager.

Just to make sure, I installed the MX2 binary driver package anyway, but it added nothing to the Device Manager either.

As an extra measure, I removed the Windows driver and relpaced it with the latest driver by S3 I could find, 4.10 for Windows 95 by S3, and installed that. No change. I reinstalled the MX2 driver package, again no change.

I've looked online for details on this card or installing a Scenic/MX2 daughterboard in general and came up with nothing. Any ideas as to why the Scenic is not being picked up? It could be the empty sockets I presume but those appear to be for upgrading the currently 2MB VRAM to 4MB, the Scenic/MX2 works with only 512K RAM which is already on board.

Open to all suggestions..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Open to all suggestions..

Um, try Win95, too ? If seen quite a lot of weird things in the past.
Could be that the Scenic driver isn't Win98 compatible. I know, sounds unlikely.
But I've seen quite a few similar things. One of the old ZIP drivers didn't support Win98, for example.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is as far as I could get this daughterboard to work: Re: What MPEG daughterboards attach to S3 cards?
don't expect it to show on device manager , this is a vga addon and at best you'll get the driver reporting it exists - nothing more.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very strange, and apparently too quirky for my liking.. The more I think about it the more I realize I should just tear this off the K6-2 system and use it in my P133 build or save it for my 486 PCI build. I will just add a Virge/DX to this system, I think.

I wonder how much I messed things up in Windows 98 by installing the drivers for this thing, as apparently there is no uninstall for the Scenic/MX2 driver installer. Oh well, I'm guessing it just installed some harmless drivers into Windows/System..

Reply 4 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After fiddling around with it for a while I decided to move this card to my Win3.1 PC and I can't seem to find any working drivers for it. The only file I can find online (CW312006.ZIP) fails with the error "Setup is unable to decompress and copy all of the program files needed to proceed with the installation. Please contact your software vendor. Error 112." after running SETUP.EXE in Windows 3.1. Anyone know what driver I need to get this decoder working in Windows 3.1?

Reply 5 of 5, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the sort of hardware that is well beyond it's time, and built by companies on a platform of wishful thinking that somehow their proprietary, non-standard, expensive hardware would make any inroads into commodity supply.

In reality, it took 20 years for software to catch up to the idea that graphics cards could contain video decoders and put generic enough software support into the APIs so application writers would bother using it.

I knew that these addons for the old S3 cards existed, but have never seen one in the flesh, nor have I seen any kind of software use it. Even more rare than the MPEG2 decoder cards that had a short period of availability before CPUs become powerful enough to do most of the MPEG2 decode process with the graphics card being able to supply an overlay in a suitable colour space to make displaying the output of the MPEG2 decode process CPU cheap.