VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a heat gun to soften the double sided tape for the GPU heat sink and then I used a small screw driver to pry it up but in the process I didnt see or know there were PCB tracks around the GPU, so my cringing question is have I damaged my Voodoo card? I tested it quickly in my P3 build and nothing seems wrong but I dont know 100%

Voodoo%20Damage_zps12lbcbqp.jpg

Reply 2 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not sure what youre saying "On GPU: second row, last word" do you mean "BAN" short for Banshee? The two areas of damage in the red circles are what I did with the screw driver so my questions is if any of the tracks around the silicone GPU dye are broken will this render it faulty? Or are those tracks for something else im hoping they are just there and dont actually connect to anything.

Reply 3 of 14, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You didn't get the joke, oh well 🙁

GabrielKnight123 wrote:

my questions is if any of the tracks around the silicone GPU dye are broken will this render it faulty?

Not necessarily, some of them might be unused (NC) or could be few of many VCCs or VDDs, no one will be able to tell you what exacly got damaged. It would be best that traces would connect to VIAs, which can be seen on GPUs PCB as small dots, hence I stated:

SSTV2 wrote:

if trace got damaged before via - it's a damage and if after via - it doesn't matter.

It looks like that traces on the corner got damaged before reaching VIAs, wet that area and inspect.

Reply 5 of 14, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That makes me sad. Poor Banshee. 🙁
I'm treating mine like a raw egg. It's not like new ones will be produced every day.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 6 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should have treated it like an egg too and I bought it from a second hand parts sale for $5 and now if I want to replace it the price is $150 from ebay so SH#%&*!@*, I suppose it will look good as an attempt at circuit board art on my wall some day when I get around to it

Reply 7 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

I put the heat sink and fan back on and tested it with a dos game and its *fried* as there are vertical lines all over so its in my scrap pile.

Give it so someone who can fix it. You just damaged a few traces on the surface. Not a big deal really with the right equipment.

Reply 8 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, someone could fix that. It looks like a more of a pain in the butt than I could handle, but I'm sure there's someone around here that has fixed worse than that.

Also, a blue Banshee? What brand is it? Must be a fairly uncommon card. Too bad... 🙁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Gigabyte is quite common.

Where? I've had 40+ 3dfx cards, including two PCI Quantum3D Ravens and I've never come across a single Gigabyte card, or any 3dfx card that was blue. That was a very uncommon PCB color in 1998.

Reply 11 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is common PCB color from Gigabyte for everything 3dfx and Nvidia related. Gigabyte was already huge manufacturer back then, so this model is nothing special and can't be compared to Raven.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 12 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

It is common PCB color from Gigabyte for everything 3dfx and Nvidia related. Gigabyte was already huge manufacturer back then, so this model is nothing special and can't be compared to Raven.

I know blue was a common color for Gigabyte in the early 2000s, but they were still making yellow colored boards for most models until the Tualatin\Athlon XP era. More importantly, how many Gigabyte Banshees do you see around these days? I've personally owned several very uncommon 3dfx cards (like the PCI Ravens, 2x Canopus Pure3D with VGA cable, boxed Diamond Monster II, 10MB Q3D V2, Hercules Voodoo Rush, Orchid Righteous 3D), I own a working Quantum3D Graphite, I've had a few Banshees (mostly Ensoniq, Diamond and Quantum3D), and yet I've never even had the opportunity to pick up a cheap Gigabyte Banshee, and it is one of only a few blue 3dfx cards ever made. To me, that makes it uncommon. That's all I was saying.

Maybe outside of the US there are Gigabyte Banshees (possibly the best Banshee cards around) available frequently for low prices, but that's certainly not the case here.

My only reason for mentioning this is that its a card worth fixing.

Reply 14 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Ok guys it would be great to get it fixed but who can do that? Im not even sure where to start in Google

Someone here would probably take a whack at it. The location of the damage puts it beyond my skill level, but I'm a soldering noob compared to many here.