VOGONS

First post, by alpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Just got my hands on a VooDoo 5 5500. Bad thing is that it is only working on single GPU mode. When I switch to the SLI mode the screen gets taken over by artifacts and the computer freezes.

On a thread by akbkuku
(Voodoo 5 5500 AGP Compatibility Problem), I've noticed that mine has the same sort of lytics residue on it. After cleaning it up with some isopropanol, I saw no changes.

So the question is: could it be a simple bad caps problem?
Should I get an ESR meter to test them out?

Reply 3 of 9, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the two I have has the same issue

Voodoo 5 5500 AGP freezes PC

It only freezes when 'guardband clipping' is enabled so maybe try switching that off? You do need a 3rd party driver to do this however, like amigamerlin's. You can also try voodoocontrol, download it @ falconfly.de
Another guy on this forum had a bad memory chip for the second gpu, he fixed the same problem you have by replacing that memory chip.
Otherwise maybe a bad chip, I think I also have a bad one.

Many people seem to have this issue when you searchwith Google, makes me think the cards are of shite quality (yeah they're old, but cards a lot older don't fail like this).

What game did you try? I know DOS games freeze with SLI enabled even on the good V5.

Reply 4 of 9, by alpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried it on glquake, Quake 2 (3dfx glide mode) and the DirectX Diagnostic tool (dxdiag). I will try disabling the setting you said and report back.

Another weird thing is that I'm seeing on GTA (doesn't crash with SLI on) is a lot of flickering, like, a lot. I will also capture some of it and post it here. On glquake I also see flicker on single GPU mode.

Also, I totally agree with you on the quality matter here. I come to think that most video cards from ATI are bullet proof, never saw one failing. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 and it has never failed on 14 long years of use.

Reply 5 of 9, by alpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately the Sideband clipping feature being off/on doesn't make a difference in my case. See the crash here: http://imgur.com/P8gbb8W

I will try 3d Mark to see if any of the memories gone bad.

Reply 6 of 9, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Too bad, look for an option to limit memory to 2mb. Not 100% sure, but I think vcontrol allows you to set that option. Did you disable guardband clipping for both D3D and Glide?
Your link is broken btw.

Reply 7 of 9, by alpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've recapped the whole thing. Still getting that awful freeze.

Used vcontrol and was able to force it to only use 2mb for textures. Unfortunately, no luck there as well. What would you guys recommend?

I've also updated my BIOS from 1.06 to 1.18 and no luck as well. Guard band clipping was disabled for both d3d and gl.

Reply 8 of 9, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, I also had no luck after recapping it. I also asked over here (badcaps) but have given up for now.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69843

Maybe read that for some insights. One guy there told me to put it in the freezer overnight (in a bag!!). This didn't work for me, but you can try it at your own risk. It might work for a couple of minutes and then you can can maybe say that some pins are not good. Read his post about the freezer thing. Make sure to wait a while after taking it out of the freezer.

So try that out and read that topic, maybe it gives you some ideas.

In single chip mode it's 100% fine right? You should post some pictures of it as well, someone might see something!

Reply 9 of 9, by alpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Justin, thank you for tip! Will try that out and take pictures of the board, screen and make a video of it running some games. GTA I even in single GPU presents some weird flicker. Quake I (glquake) some strange flicker on ammo and other text info.

Have to confess I totally tempted on trying out the freezer thing.