VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have a preferred UNIVBE version for VLB graphics cards in DOS? I've noticed that there are quite a few versions:

5.1a
5.3a
5.3a-d
6.53-d

I'm noticing that some versions report the incorrect graphics chipset and memory (univbe 5.0) while others seem to offset the monitor a lot, to a point greater than the monitor's AUTO setting will correct. Some versions deliver faster pcpbench results, which I suspect starts with 5.3. 5.3 seems to do something with a linear frame buffer. Is there a way to get this linear frame buffer magic into version 5.1a? I tried to test 5.2, but I only have the Windows version. Did a 5.2 DOS version exist?

Lastly, does anyone know how to modify the graphic card's BIOS to allow for VESA 2.0 extensions? I am currently testing out a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T VLB with 2 MB. If I do not run univbe, I get some VESA error when I attempt to run PCPBench. Photos provided.

Also, does anyone have a newer BIOS for this graphics card? I've seen cards with v2.02. Failing this, I will also test other brand BIOSes on this card.

Diamond_Setup.jpg
Filename
Diamond_Setup.jpg
File size
920.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Diamond_Stealth64_DRAM_T_VLB.jpg
Filename
Diamond_Stealth64_DRAM_T_VLB.jpg
File size
907.54 KiB
Views
File license
PCPBench_Error.jpg
Filename
PCPBench_Error.jpg
File size
54.98 KiB
Views
File license

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran some tests with UNIVBE versions and this is what I came up with on my Trio64 VLB card.

No univbe installed
cannot run pcpbench

Univbe 5.0
uses 5 kb of conventional memory
incorrectly identifies the vga chipset as S3 86c911 with 1 MB
VESA 1.2
PCPBench = 8.8 VESA Modus 100 640x480
PCPBench /vgamode = 20.8
Doom realtics = 1767
Quake - no option for 640x480

Univbe 5.1a
uses 8 kb of conventional memory
correctly identifies Trio64 with 2 MB
VESA 1.2
PCPBench = 9.2 VESA Modus 100 640x480
PCPBench /vgamode = 20.8
Doom realtics = 1764
Quake - no option for 640x480

Univbe 5.2
uses 12 kb of conventional memory
I only have the Windows version, which is also supposed to work in DOS. When I install it using WIn3.11, I get some error towards the end of the installation, FATAL: UV_updateConfig failed!! I am unable to open the utility - complains that it is not installed properly. When I try to run the DOS executables in DOS I also get an error that it is not installed properly and to install it. Never figured this out.

EDIT: Figured out Univbe 5.2. Univbe 5.3 and Univbe 5.2 use the same registration file, IO.IDX in C:\ , and for some reason Univbe 5.2 installation won't override 5.3's IO.IDX file. You need to delete the hidden io.idx file, then install Univbe 5.2. To use univbe 5.3 again, you need to put the old io.idx file back in c:\

Univbe 5.3a
uses 13 kb of conventional memory
installs linear frame buffer
VESA 2.0
PCPBench = 10.1 VESA Modus 100 640x480
PCPBench /vgamode = 20.8
Doom realtics = 1764
Quake @ 640x480 = 4.7 (I'm guessing this mode requires VESA 2.0)

Univbe 6.53
uses 20 kb of conventional memory
installs linear frame buffer
VESA 2.0 & 3.0
PCPBench = 10.1 VESA Modus 100 640x480
PCPBench /vgamode = 20.8
Doom realtics = 1763
Quake @ 640x480 = 4.7
uvconfig claims that my default graphics adapter BIOS contains VBE 1.2, no linear frame buffer, and supports 16 video modes
uvconfig claims that univbe is adding support for VESA 2.0 & 3.0, linear frame buffer, and allows for 49 video modes

Using BIOS from Hercules Terminator 64 DRAM VLB
Also only VBE 1.2
However, this BIOS lets me run PCPBench without univbe.
Cannot use Diamond Win 3.11 drivers with this BIOS inserted
PCPBench = 9.1 VESA Modus 100 640x480
PCPBench /vgamode = 20.8
Doom realtics = 1768

Is there a bug in Diamond's BIOS which isn't letting me run PCPBench? I'd like to find BIOS v2.02, which I assume will correct for this, and with any luck, will contain VESA extensions version 2.0. I don't like the idea of having to run univbe for pcpbench. I'm guessing that Univbe 5.2 may be the lowest version for VBE 2.0 and consumes the least conventional memory. Anyone know where to source the freewave version for DOS?

Last edited by feipoa on 2018-08-02, 10:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 29, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

No univbe installed
cannot run pcpbench

Did you try running PCPBENCH /MODES to see what modes are available? Or the VBETEST utility that comes with UniVBE? I would guess that it's failing because of an unsupported video mode.

Univbe 5.2
I only have the Windows version, which is also supposed to work in DOS. When I install it using WIn3.11, I get some error towards the end of the installation, FATAL: UV_updateConfig failed!! I am unable to open the utility - complains that it is not installed properly. When I try to run the DOS executables in DOS I also get an error that it is not installed properly and to install it. Never figured this out.

When you run the installer it is supposed to create a hidden file in the root dir called IO.IDX or IO32.IDX on later versions. If that file is missing/wrong that will cause the error about not being installed properly.

Reply 5 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe after S3VBE20 is loaded wbc's S3VBEFIX can also be used?
S3VBEFIX - PC\MS-DOS TSR fix for S3 VESA 2.0 video BIOS

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 29, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those cards in a 486 machine, it has bios version 2.09. However, I won't have physical access to it for a few weeks... on top of that, my EPROM programmer is busted so I wouldn't be able to dump it unless it can be done from DOS.

If there is indeed a way of dumping it from the command line, I can do it once I get back home. I can also rip the original driver CD that came with it if it's useful.

Other than that, my suggestion is also to use S3VBE20 instead of UniVBE.

Attachments

• CARD.JPG
    Filename
    CARD.JPG
    File size
    680.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T VLB
    File license

Reply 7 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ NSSI can dump the video bios: http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm
goto TOOLS -> SAVE VIDEO BIOS option

these cards are really nice, I hope one day I can also find one.... 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My card contains the 86C764-P chip, while yours contains the 86c764X chip. It is not clear to me if the BIOSes are interchangeable, but I am willing to try. Please let me know if you are able to get NSSI to copy the VGA BIOS.

User elianda mentioned that the X should denote PnP compatibility, while the -P usually means that the chipset supports the PCI bus. He speculated that PnP compatibility could mean that the card is able to enable/disable the VGA IRQ, but this is pure speculation

The latest BIOS I've seen photos of for the -P card is 2.02, while for the X card, it is 2.09.

I did not try s3vbe20. I will try that.

I did not try running pcpbench /mode. I will try that. I've never had a graphics card which didn't work with pcpbench in VESA modus 100. 640x480 8bpp.

bakemono, based on what you said, I'm guessing that the *.idx file is missing or wrong. How do we fix it?

Reply 9 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone have the S3 generic (flat) Win3.11 drivers for the 764 (original Trio64)? Even on the recently vanished S3graphics.com website, they only had the drivers for 765. For example,

The available legacy drivers: https://web.archive.org/web/20130103062643/ht … re_archive.aspx

Although, they do mention the Trio64 (764) here, https://web.archive.org/web/20130103063022/ht … ers/legacy.aspx

Reply 10 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you guys run PCPBench.exe, does it not run by default in VESA Modus 100 (640x400x8bpp LFB)?

I ran pcpbench.exe /modes on my Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T VLB BIOS v2.01. The result is here. Not surprisingly, VESA mode 100 is not listed. 640x400 isn't even an option for any colour depth.

DiamondStealth64_BIOS_Default.jpg
Filename
DiamondStealth64_BIOS_Default.jpg
File size
97.31 KiB
Views
File license

I then S3VBE20 /install. It only uses 4 KB of RAM, which is very nice compared to UNIVBE53's 13K. The result is still no support for VESA mode 100! Any way to add it? I think S3VBE20 assumes that the graphic card's BIOS already supports this mode, which I think most do.

DiamondStealth64_S3VBE20.jpg
Filename
DiamondStealth64_S3VBE20.jpg
File size
125.14 KiB
Views
File license

I tried S3VBEfix, but it didn't add mode 100.

I then compared the supported modes by UNIVBE53 and UNIVBE65, which both add support for 640x400x8.

DiamondStealth64_UNIVBE53.jpg
Filename
DiamondStealth64_UNIVBE53.jpg
File size
147.8 KiB
Views
File license
DiamondStealth64_UNIVBE65.jpg
Filename
DiamondStealth64_UNIVBE65.jpg
File size
144.57 KiB
Views
File license

For completeness, I am also including the supported modes on the same graphics card, but when using the Hercules Terminator 64's VGA BIOS.

HerculesTerminator64_BIOS_Default.jpg
Filename
HerculesTerminator64_BIOS_Default.jpg
File size
107.25 KiB
Views
File license

Obviously, the card supports mode 100. I will next experiment with the S3 764 generic drivers and the Hercules drivers to see if I can use this card as a Hercules. It is not nearly as elegant and I would like to have the Diamond BIOS v2.02 and 2.09 to experiment with.

Reply 11 of 29, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

bakemono, based on what you said, I'm guessing that the *.idx file is missing or wrong. How do we fix it?

If you can get it to install on another PC then you could copy the file over. I'm not sure if the file from one version of the program works with another version. Did you have to put in a name or registration key when installing? Might be dependent on that. (It's been a long time since I messed with this, sorry)

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 13 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I clicked on "trial", which should work fully for, if I recall right, 21 days.

are you referring to univbe?

Reply 15 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scitech released it for free with a registration code , let me dig it up 😀

Reply 17 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I managed to find the Hercules Terminator 64 drivers for Win3.11 and have enclosed them for others looking. I noticed that the standard SuperVGA monitor selection during installation uses some interlaced modes and refresh rates not supported by my LCD monitor. This caused Windows 3.11 to exit upon loading. I generally set my refresh rates to 60 Hz for display resolutions from 640x480 through 1280x1024. To do this, I had to edit the autoexec.bat file which installation creates and set, C:\Hercules\SETCRT -n 0 1 1 0 1 0

The monitor selection is expecting a CRT, not an LCD. The Diamond Trio64 drivers are much better concerning this.

So at least I can use the Hercules VGA BIOS and drivers on this Diamond card if I really needed to. I guess I should also check to see if the S3 generic drivers work. Ideally, I'd still like to find the updated Diamond VGA BIOS.

Attachments

Reply 18 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Great, thanks. The registrations I tried did not work. Do you have the DOS version of univbe52?

Did you try the official ones listed here? https://web.archive.org/web/20060118061752/ht … ree_titles.html

They have a code for the 5.x version:
Reg Code: 00000-816EAD30-20020
Full Name: 5.x Free Edition

Reply 19 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, does the 5.3 code work with 5.2? I don't think I tried that. Have you?

Does anyone have Univbe 5.2 DOS?