VOGONS

How hard would it be to make a CGA card?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 67, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anetanel wrote:
I found this card that uses the same chip and has CGA composite output: http://oldcomputer.info/pc/board_gfx1/mcgvp.jpg (Source: […]
Show full quote

I found this card that uses the same chip and has CGA composite output:
mcgvp.jpg
(Source: http://oldcomputer.info/pc/board_gfx1/index.htm)

Can it be used to reverse engineer my card to output CGA composite?

Probably! If you can trace the lines to see where everything goes. It's possible (although difficult) to do this from images (I've done it once before) but much easier if you can use a multimeter's continuity mode.

Reply 41 of 67, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
reenigne wrote:

If you're not bothered about the colours being accurate and you have (or find) a CGA card with an RGBI output, it's a pretty simple circuit to go from RGBI to monochrome composite.

Until (if ever) I'll be able to reverse engineer a working card, how can I convert the RGBI output to monochrome composite, as you suggested?

Reply 42 of 67, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anetanel wrote:

Until (if ever) I'll be able to reverse engineer a working card, how can I convert the RGBI output to monochrome composite, as you suggested?

Here's a cheeky DaveCAD I just did of the equivalent of the output stage of an IBM 1501981 ("New style" CGA) with colour burst disabled (as in mode 5). If you change the 750 ohm resistor for a 1.5k then this might even give a reasonable output from 8088 MPH final version in New CGA mode. Sorry for the wobbly lines - hope you can read it. You can probably do it with fewer than 3 chips if you're feelng clever and want to optimise the logic.

rgbi_to_mono_composite_s.jpg

Reply 43 of 67, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I spend the last hours learning enough KiCad to draw this unholy mess 😀
I think that I wont try to design a PCB, as it stretches my ability at the moment.
But I guess it wouldn't be too hard to solder this on a prototype board.

One thing I'm not sure about. Where does the +5v come from?

Attachments

• pcb.png
    Filename
    pcb.png
    File size
    31.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 44 of 67, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anetanel wrote:

If I should hazard a guess: a power supply? 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 45 of 67, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:
anetanel wrote:

If I should hazard a guess: a power supply? 😀

Preposterous! 😜

So let's say I use a usb charger which gives +5v. To where should I connect the charger's ground? To the same GND path that the RGBI uses?

Reply 46 of 67, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^VBS.. It's called VBS (CVBS or Composite without colour). 😉

What it stands for isn't completely certain, though. Some say Video, Blanking, Sync, others say Video Baseband Signal.

I prefer the later, since it is the kind of signal VHF/UHF modulators were fed with.

(In German, sometimes abbreviated as BAS and FBAS.)

Edit: Also thanks a lot for the drawings.

Edit:

So let's say I use a usb charger which gives +5v. To where should I connect the charger's ground? To the same GND path that the RGBI uses?

Becareful with that. Mixing different PSUs and grounds might cause unpredictable results, I believe.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 47 of 67, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anetanel wrote:
Well, I spend the last hours learning enough KiCad to draw this unholy mess :) I think that I wont try to design a PCB, as it st […]
Show full quote

Well, I spend the last hours learning enough KiCad to draw this unholy mess 😀
I think that I wont try to design a PCB, as it stretches my ability at the moment.
But I guess it wouldn't be too hard to solder this on a prototype board.

I like to power little external boards like this with a keyboard port passthrough or dongle - plug the board into the RGBI output and the keyboard port, plug the keyboard into the board. No batteries to change, no need for another wall-wart, no grounding issues. If you wanted to be neater you could re-route +5V through pin 7 on the CGA card and then there's only one thing to plug in. Shouldn't be too dangerous since +5V would just be interpreted as TTL high to an MDA or EGA monitor that is plugged into there.

Reply 49 of 67, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anetanel wrote:

I like the idea of using the keyboard for 5v. But again (and sorry if it is obvious..) is it enough to tap into the 5v from the keyboard? no need to have ground too?

Check the schematics of your machine to be sure (or just measure between keyboard ground and CGA ground with a multimeter) but I think all ground signals on a PC are tied together so there's no issue with different levels. I guess you might accidentally create a ground loop, but it'd be a small one and all the signals in question are digital anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal. I've never noticed any problem playing games like that with my XT.

Reply 51 of 67, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anetanel wrote:

I have verified that the Ground on the PSU connectors, on the keyboard connector and on the video card are all connected. That means I'm good to go. right?

Yep!

Reply 53 of 67, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to get all the components locally. And it even wasn't all that expensive 😀
Tonight I'm gonna try and breadboard it and hope for the best.
I'll be happy if you could take a look at my design and see if I missed anything:
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/kbdKZueB1jr

Reply 54 of 67, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anetanel wrote:
I managed to get all the components locally. And it even wasn't all that expensive :) Tonight I'm gonna try and breadboard it an […]
Show full quote

I managed to get all the components locally. And it even wasn't all that expensive 😀
Tonight I'm gonna try and breadboard it and hope for the best.
I'll be happy if you could take a look at my design and see if I missed anything:
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/kbdKZueB1jr

I think you need to double-check it - one of the legs of the transistor is not connected at the moment. Not sure if there are any other problems!

Reply 55 of 67, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great Success!!
I could not believe that it worked at first try 😀

Next step is to transfer this mess to a prototype board.
Thanks you very much guys, and reenigne in particular!

Attachments

• 2018-08-02 09.06.33.jpg
    Filename
    2018-08-02 09.06.33.jpg
    File size
    201.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2018-08-02 08.55.44.jpg
    Filename
    2018-08-02 08.55.44.jpg
    File size
    179.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2018-08-02 08.56.25.jpg
    Filename
    2018-08-02 08.56.25.jpg
    File size
    177.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2018-08-01 23.01.06.jpg
    Filename
    2018-08-01 23.01.06.jpg
    File size
    319.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 57 of 67, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome. You’re done. Just dip it in resin, put it in your case, and you’ll be finished. 😁

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 58 of 67, by Tronix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
anetanel wrote:

Great Success!!

You can reduce the number of IC chips from three to two. Remove 74LS04 inverter IC and make inverter with help free part of 74LS86:

7486.PNG
Filename
7486.PNG
File size
3.59 KiB
Views
File license
74862.PNG
Filename
74862.PNG
File size
34.58 KiB
Views
File license

https://github.com/Tronix286/

Reply 59 of 67, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tronix wrote:
You can reduce the number of IC chips from three to two. Remove 74LS04 inverter IC and make inverter with help free part of 74LS […]
Show full quote
anetanel wrote:

Great Success!!

You can reduce the number of IC chips from three to two. Remove 74LS04 inverter IC and make inverter with help free part of 74LS86:

7486.PNG
74862.PNG

I understand. Thanks! 😀
I'll give it a try today.