VOGONS

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

lets talk about the 3870x2 because i have one and find it interesting. specifically the 1gb of vram it claims to have. I now understand the card works as such....

it's two separate 3870's each with 512mb of vram. ONE of those 3870's has two dvi outputs , the other has no outputs at all (hence why both outputs still work if you uninstall one of the gpu's in device manager).

Now when in crossfire mode we know that the vram does not combine , just the gpu's themselves. However.... the second gpu has it's own 512mb of vram that... surely must be used for SOMETHING.

Am i to guess that when you crossfire two gpus that the vram doesn't combine but DOES clone each other? Meaning both gpus have the same information in the vram?

Reply 1 of 3, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
emosun wrote:

Am i to guess that when you crossfire two gpus that the vram doesn't combine but DOES clone each other? Meaning both gpus have the same information in the vram?

Pretty much. Like you said, it is like having 2 separate 3870's (in crossfire), putting them on one card and using the display outputs of only one card

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 2 of 3, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

That's how both SLI and Crossfire work since introduction 😀
It's also why you never combine VRAM on GPUs.
Only with DirectX 12s new modes for multi GPU support, separating VRAM for each card is possible.

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's how both SLI and Crossfire work since introduction

I think SLI scissor mode reduced VRAM usage for frame buffer on each card. Maybe ATI tiling mode did that as well.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.