VOGONS

First post, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As we know, SDRAM variations had 64-bit memory bus and SGRAM had 128-bit memory bus. But did anyone compared both cards directly? Is performance drop noticeable?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, does it get somewhere "closer" to the NV4 chip? I suppose from a basic Riva128 there should be a good jump with this last Riva design, isn't it? I only have the SDRAM version (cheap PCB too) which is interesting but I expected a bit more.

Reply 4 of 11, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The performance drop is immense. I once stumbled upon a Riva 128ZX and couldn't understand why it performed as poorly as it did, until I found out about the 64bit bus on the SDRAM cards, mine being the latter. I want to say it was as bad as 50% performance drop, but seeing as it probably wasn't that linear, I'd wager 33%-40% slower. It was that bad.

Reply 5 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Garrett W wrote on 2022-08-22, 07:56:

The performance drop is immense. I once stumbled upon a Riva 128ZX and couldn't understand why it performed as poorly as it did, until I found out about the 64bit bus on the SDRAM cards, mine being the latter. I want to say it was as bad as 50% performance drop, but seeing as it probably wasn't that linear, I'd wager 33%-40% slower. It was that bad.

Impressive really. That's why probably I also felt the SDRAM late pcb version to be much slower than I expected. Too bad I only have that version and the PCI original Riva128.

Reply 6 of 11, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote on 2022-08-22, 07:36:

Interesting, does it get somewhere "closer" to the NV4 chip? I suppose from a basic Riva128 there should be a good jump with this last Riva design, isn't it? I only have the SDRAM version (cheap PCB too) which is interesting but I expected a bit more.

I think you misunderstand the topic.

Reply 7 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote on 2022-08-22, 10:50:
386SX wrote on 2022-08-22, 07:36:

I think you misunderstand the topic.

I meant if the Riva 128ZX architecture in this "best" configuration should be a bit closer to the early NV4 chip even if still far from it and compared to the previous PCI/AGP original design. Just wondering. I understand the main subject here is the 64bit SDRAM version vs the 128bit SGRAM one of the ZX which I'm interested to know more about.

Reply 8 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Riva 128ZX SGRAM is slightly faster than original design, due to increased clock speed and, in some cases, additional VRAM.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Max core clocks is same for 128 and ZX at 100MHz. Some cores with 90 to 95MHz. Memory can be anywhere from 100, 95 and 90MHz; even less.
128 is AGP 1x, and ZX is AGP 2x.

Is SGRAM better than SDRAM, at same clocks, is this correct?

Great Northern aka Canada.